What's new

Trying Surface Book - returned sp4 m3 and sp4 i5

maybethistime

Well I will try a Surface Book. I returned a sp4 m3 and an i5 due to short battery life. I picked up an iPad pro so I'll see how it compares to Surface Book. I am not impressed with one note for iPad but the iPad pro battery life is great. One of my first priorities is note taking. All updates on sb installed so here we go.

OP
M

maybethistime

Main focus here is note taking with the pen and a small amount of needed windows os. Whatever from factor that happens to be and can help me be more productive then that's what I will carry. I plan to use the clipboard mostly off of the keyboard during most of the day so I picked up a super quiet inverter so ill keep the clipboard plugged in between jobsites and see how that goes. So far, great machine.

kevroc

Main focus here is note taking with the pen and a small amount of needed windows os. Whatever from factor that happens to be and can help me be more productive then that's what I will carry. I plan to use the clipboard mostly off of the keyboard during most of the day so I picked up a super quiet inverter so ill keep the clipboard plugged in between jobsites and see how that goes. So far, great machine.

That's where the IPP excels. I take it with me when out for meetings and have the LTE version. The IPP is really easy to use in the car, notes are easy and I know they sync right away due to the LTE. I can also then use it for mapping to the client or navigation if needed.

I find writing with the SB Pen a bit distracting how it contacts the screen versus the IPP, I'm always adjusting to the writing instead of just writing. Love the pen click to get to notes and I have long click to launch desktop OneNote, so I have an easy way to get to both apps.

kevroc

My priority is fuel mileage and I'm gong to compare a Toyota Prius to an Acura MDX SUV.

This would be correct if your priority was to commute to work. Given that both devices above do that, then compare other attributes as they become important. I feel both the SB and IPP have note-taking as their core competency, if you don't agree with that I don't know what to tell you.

OP
M

maybethistime

So far the SB has been great. I will say everything is a compromise in trying to find the perfect computer, it doesn't exist but the surface book is close enough for me. I will be returning the ipad pro, but I sure will miss the speakers. One note with the surface pen is great with the eraser and side button. The ipad's battery was stellar but also the lack of a real file system made things complicated! I also have a Retina MacBook pro which is far easier for hobby stuff like creating videos and editing pictures so it will stay on my desk and the surface book will be my sidekick.

fonzman78

This would be correct if your priority was to commute to work. Given that both devices above do that, then compare other attributes as they become important. I feel both the SB and IPP have note-taking as their core competency, if you don't agree with that I don't know what to tell you.

Agreed that that the IPP and SB both have note-taking capabilities. But that's pretty much where the comparison stops. The IPP is just a bigger Ipad w/added pen. It's still just an Ipad where you can install apps. The SB is full blown laptop capable of installing 1000's of application not apps.

If the OP is mainly interested in battery life and note taking, I would recommend he stick with the IPP. The SB is overkill. If he needs a real laptop, then the SB is right choice. No sense in purchasing a Tesla when a Prius will suffice.

Cothek

Having the base charge the clipboard would be perfect in your situation but alas it doesn't...

OP
M

maybethistime

Having the base charge the clipboard would be perfect in your situation but alas it doesn't...
I used an inverter today and plugged in the clipboard occasionally and it worked great. The backup is to flipnthe screen around on the base and instant extra juice. The clipboard is superbly balanced so it feels super light.

kevroc

Agreed that that the IPP and SB both have note-taking capabilities. But that's pretty much where the comparison stops. The IPP is just a bigger Ipad w/added pen. It's still just an Ipad where you can install apps. The SB is full blown laptop capable of installing 1000's of application not apps.

If the OP is mainly interested in battery life and note taking, I would recommend he stick with the IPP. The SB is overkill. If he needs a real laptop, then the SB is right choice. No sense in purchasing a Tesla when a Prius will suffice.

Wells there's the rub. In my case they both cost the same, so which is the Tesla and which is the Prius ;)

They both have a lot of apps you can install, that's not really a distinction. They both have great battery life. They both have great "on the go" portability with the IPP winning out with optional LTE.

A lot of things you can do on the SB are easier on the IPP. Case in point, replying to your post. Couldn't figure out how to do that on Tapatalk on my SB, but easy as pie on my IPP. There are countless other apps that are touch friendly and easy to use "on the go" versus the SB relegating you to mouse or precise finger taps that are not as easy on the fly.

I'll be using the SB, get frustrated with something and switch over the the IPP. Then I'll be using the IPP, get frustrated with something (like not being able to share a OneNote Note) and switch over to the SB.

It's a constant back and forth cycle for me :). But they each have strengths and they are both beautiful devices in their own right.

At this point, for me anyway, the IPP has a bit of an edge due primarily to the betting inking results I get. Because the contact point of the pencil tip is right on the paper, my writing is much neater.

I'm actually leaning towards just keeping both as I'm not sure one can really replace the other.