What's new

Trying to uninstall build 10147

Larry Berk

Ok- so I have a heckova mess. Long story short... I had Windows 10 Build 10130 installed on my Surface Pro 3. Like so many others, I was disappointed by the battery life, buggy updating and wifi connectivity problems. So I scrounged around for build 10147 which was not released to Insiders but was available for download. I successfully installed it from an ISO file and it made it better.

Now official build 10158 was released. But it won't install on my Surface. Doesn't even show as an available update. The only updates I receive are for the antivirus. I've tried rolling back to 10130. I've even tried a clean install of 10130 from a flash drive installer. In both cases, the install gets about 1/2 way through, quits, reverts to 10147 with the following error message:

0x80071145 - 0x2000A
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation

I assume this is all because 10147 was not authorized to roll out. (My bad) I can't roll back to Windows 8.1 and I'm afraid if I tinker too much, I'll inadvertently brick the tablet.

I don't mind a clean install. Does anybody have any ideas?

MagicPoop

Ok- so I have a heckova mess. Long story short... I had Windows 10 Build 10130 installed on my Surface Pro 3. Like so many others, I was disappointed by the battery life, buggy updating and wifi connectivity problems. So I scrounged around for build 10147 which was not released to Insiders but was available for download. I successfully installed it from an ISO file and it made it better.

Now official build 10158 was released. But it won't install on my Surface. Doesn't even show as an available update. The only updates I receive are for the antivirus. I've tried rolling back to 10130. I've even tried a clean install of 10130 from a flash drive installer. In both cases, the install gets about 1/2 way through, quits, reverts to 10147 with the following error message:

0x80071145 - 0x2000A
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation

I assume this is all because 10147 was not authorized to roll out. (My bad) I can't roll back to Windows 8.1 and I'm afraid if I tinker too much, I'll inadvertently brick the tablet.

I don't mind a clean install. Does anybody have any ideas?

Same thing happened to me, I forgot how I fixed it. But I do know that if you go the advanced start-up settings and you click on the completely reset everything option, you'll end up with 8.1 like you got it when it was new.