What's new

Windows Build 10122 Update Failing at Install

alissaknight

Can someone help me through this? I don't want to have to reset my surface.
I am running Build 10074 and my system is trying to perform an update to 10122. However, it's failing at the install screen (you know, with the big % in the middle and circular progress bar?

It's stopping at 18%. Down at the bottom in the Copying Files progress, it is stopping at 62%. I have tried redownloading my updates and did a 2nd attempt, and it still failed. It's stopping at the same exact spot. I wait like 10-15 minutes in case it is just taking a long time and force a power down, it then recovers my previous version of Windows. Im attaching a screenshot of the error message when I log back into Windows.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 719

Garyjk

I didn't see which surface you had, but gabe aul posted this:
SP3 users who are getting rolled back on upgrade to 10122, try from CMD:
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Alyssa,

You might head over to Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3 for specific help with Windows 10 on your SP3. This error with installing the new Insider Build is an example of Windows 10 on SP3, not merely Windows 10.

The first page has links to jump to specific Builds.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone help me through this? I don't want to have to reset my surface.
I am running Build 10074 and my system is trying to perform an update to 10122. However, it's failing at the install screen (you know, with the big % in the middle and circular progress bar?

It's stopping at 18%. Down at the bottom in the Copying Files progress, it is stopping at 62%. I have tried redownloading my updates and did a 2nd attempt, and it still failed. It's stopping at the same exact spot. I wait like 10-15 minutes in case it is just taking a long time and force a power down, it then recovers my previous version of Windows. Im attaching a screenshot of the error message when I log back into Windows.

I didn't see which surface you had, but gabe aul posted this:
SP3 users who are getting rolled back on upgrade to 10122, try from CMD:
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Also, make sure you run this command from an elevated CMD Prompt...

benjitek

Build 10122 has been problematic for me. It messed up my PIN, can't login with a PIN anymore -- thankfully the Microsoft Account login password works. OneDrive has disappeared -- the previously synced files are still on the hard drive, and online -- but OneDrive is disconnected, no more syncing and OneDrive isn't anywhere, not the Start Menu nor does it show up if I just do a system search.

I started on my SP2 with build 10074, which I ran as an update to my existing Windows 8.1 -- build 10122 was an update to that. I think the Preview version works best as a clean install. A few builds ago I update my Asus Windows 8.1 laptop -- also had it's own set of quirks. I reinstalled as a clean install and it's much better, no glaring quirks. I'm getting ready to do a clean install on my SP2...

EmmanuelP

The CMD fix did not work for me (Surface Pro 3, 8Gb, 256 Gb, i7), I stay stuck in the 10074 : does anybody know when the 10125 release is planned ?

OP
alissaknight

alissaknight

Ugh, guys... I ran CMD.EXE as Administrator.. Ugh, if I can't get this working I fear I'm going to have to do another factory reset on this girl, ugh at reinstalling Office and Photoshop

benjitek

Ugh, guys... I ran CMD.EXE as Administrator.. Ugh, if I can't get this working I fear I'm going to have to do another factory reset on this girl, ugh at reinstalling Office and Photoshop
I did a system reset not realizing it would go with Windows 8 -- am just going to leave it. Sure is hard going back though -- I miss the new Start Menu ;-)

OP
alissaknight

alissaknight

Hey all, thought I'd check back in here. So I finally got it working! The problem? When running the rundll.exe command as the fix suggests, it doesn't give you an error message if it isn't being run in an Administrative cmd.exe shell. What was happening was I was just typing in cmd.exe and starting up a prompt that way. I should have right-clicked on cmd.exe and hit RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Once I did that, the command ran (again) with no success or failure message. Ran the update and it worked!

Or.. Maybe it was just good luck from running it while at a Microsoft store :) Thanks everyone! Loving 10122!