What's new

UK Excitement building - shipping date 12th Nov

stammie

Well I wouldn't get too excited for all those people rushing home to play with their new SP4's,
I've been in from work an hour and all mine has been doing is updating, now it has decided to install an entire new build of Windows so I think it'll be a while.
Things I can report so far, the typecover is great, I've seen some complain about it but its the best touchpad I've ever used with an equally good keyboard.
The screen is gorgeous although I do have a little backlight bleed, I may be less fussy than others on this but its not bad and certainly something I can live with, I've only really noticed it on this black updating Windows screen I currently have.
The back has got fairly warm but as of yet I haven't heard the fan while all this downloading and updating is going on.

OP
H

Hovesteve

Finally the UPS man delivered my SP4 I5 8GB 256GB, updated quite quickly, office 365 installed, onedrive sync-Ed. Initial thoughts, much faster that my old RT, but then I guess it would be! Faint fan noise when updating, but only if I put my ear close! Screen is amazing. Pen seems cool, don't think I'll be using it that much though.
Question - is Cortana still not available for W10 desktop in the UK? Do we still have to cheat and change settings to USA?

OP
H

Hovesteve

Is threshold 2 the one that came out today? The 'fall' update. I don't think so I'll check later. I have noticed my option for Windows Hello seems to be missing from the log in options, bit odd..

stammie

Maybe you have the slow WiFi issue that's been reported elsewhere. I think I have that issue to Trying to download a video and its taking forever..

My wifi seems fine, the upgrade downloaded ok it took an age to install itself though.
All ok now though I'm posting this on my new SP4 :)

Welshy

Having issues with wifi... its on limited (BT Hub 5)... don't know how to sort it :( tried some solutions but didn't work...

Omni

Finally got mine. Came at 5;30pm!

My SP4 is also taking ages to install the Fall update. Hurry up I want to use it!

Really love the hardware though and the screen is great.

OP
H

Hovesteve

All good ish here. A few updates don't want to upload including the big 'fall' update that stuck at 39% Apart from that, and I can't sort my Windows Hello. I assume that's one of the updates that doesn't want to play at the Mo, one of the initial drivers that enabled the hello cameras. I'm sure it will all come good.
The SP4 is an amazing bit of kit, loving it big time. Fan hasn't come on since the initial updates, stayed v cool all evening. Not issues with battery life so far... no driver crashes etc..

stammie

The only issue I've had so far is I can't update the battery driver on mine,
its on the 2006 one and nothing I've tried so far will update it, Windows keeps telling me I have the most up to date driver.
Windows Hello is pretty cool but I might have to disable it for now, my SP4 lost 10% battery life in 90 minutes of sleep mode last night which is why I want to update the battery driver.