What's new

UK launch of Surface Pro 3 soon

OWENCOBB

With less than two weeks before us Brits finally get out hands on the new Surface Pro 3 if would appear that the price war has started, not only can we already pre order from Microsoft at normal price but you can now pre order from Currys or Pc World and qualify for a £100 cash back paid in to you bank account 21 days after pick up, that's a good saving and cheaper then Microsoft so effectively you almost get the keyboard free. I think I know where I'm going to order from.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I preordered from Microsoft student store but also went through Quidco for some cash back. Presumably you can go through quidco at currys /PC world too?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I preordered from Microsoft student store but also went through Quidco for some cash back. Presumably you can go through quidco at currys /PC world too?

Humor a dinosoar. How does quidco work and what savings is it offering on the sp3?

Oh, and i'm going to wait until John Lewis get it in stock. They price match everything, and normally offer a free 3 year warranty with devices like this. They also offer a fairly well priced care scheme.

Last edited:

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure exactly how they do it but I'm guessing they get done sort of commission from the seller. After you purchase via the quidco website which redirects you to the seller with a tracking code a few days or weeks later you get cash back in your quidco account which you can get them to put in your bank. Most major sellers are on there. Microsoft offer 10% cashback for software and about 3% for hardware. The prices on websites you go to are the same as normal so I think I'd worth just getting a little extra back. I don't use it a lot but if I have expensive purchases I do. I've got £30+ in cash back so far.

John Lewis is probably on there too.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually just coming back to this thread as it's where UK people might be(;-)), there are no UK Microsoft brick and mortar stores are there? I don't think there are but when I phoned the MS helpline just to confirm my delivery details for my surface there was the recorded message saying "did you know Microsoft has stores" etc.

Also I didn't see any mention of MS complete on the UK MS website... maybe i missed it but I'd definitely be interest does anyone know if it is available? I found a link called "extended service plans" but when I clicked it it just took me to a page for tech support.

Anyone from the UK got an extended warranty for their surface (any generation)?
Are third party plans worth thinking about? I do have equipment insurance which apparently would cover my computers and tablets for accidental damage and theft so I have some piece of mind but I'm thinking more of warranty type issues, with things going wrong after the normal period as it's a non-self repairable device.

kristalsoldier

Actually just coming back to this thread as it's where UK people might be(;-)), there are no UK Microsoft brick and mortar stores are there? I don't think there are but when I phoned the MS helpline just to confirm my delivery details for my surface there was the recorded message saying "did you know Microsoft has stores" etc.

Also I didn't see any mention of MS complete on the UK MS website... maybe i missed it but I'd definitely be interest does anyone know if it is available? I found a link called "extended service plans" but when I clicked it it just took me to a page for tech support.

Anyone from the UK got an extended warranty for their surface (any generation)?
Are third party plans worth thinking about? I do have equipment insurance which apparently would cover my computers and tablets for accidental damage and theft so I have some piece of mind but I'm thinking more of warranty type issues, with things going wrong after the normal period as it's a non-self repairable device.

I thought MS was supposed to have a store open in London in early 2013. I also remember having read some articles about it and having seen some pics. But I just can't seem to find any further information even from the MS site, which is very strange. I am also very interested in the extended warranty for the SP3 (though I bought mine outside the UK).

Liam2349

I haven't seen any Microsoft stores. I also heard about a London one but can't find any info on it - not that it would be practical for me to drive to London.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I googled last night and only found a Telegraph article about them researching rents for shops but it doesn't look like there actually are any.

I went in an Apple store once with a Samsung tablet and phone in my bag.. I felt like at any moment klaxons would sound and I'd be expelled from the store.. Lol good business model for some though.

Last edited:

Bandito

Moonsurface,

I know exactly how you feel. I had gone to the Microsoft store at a local mall to pickup some Surface Pro accessories and walked out with the bag with a big Windows logo on it. I then had to go to the Apple store just upstairs from the Microsoft store to pick up some other things.

Walking around the Apple store with the Microsoft bag I felt like all eyes were upon me! Probably just my imagination, but it did feel very awkward to me.

I could've gone to the Apple store first, but then would've stuck out in the Microsoft store with an Apple bag. No way to win in this situation unless I had dashed out to the car in between trips, but I'm far too lazy for that! :D