What's new

Unable to log into Windows - Number of connections limited

agt499

Four times in the last week I've woken my SP3 to find that I was unable to log in, and even standard shutdown or reboot failed to render any improvement.
On three of these occasions (first, second and fourth), I had in yellow text on a black background the message 'the number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections are in use right now. Try connecting later or contact your system administrator', with a box to click OK. (Where is the 'Not OK at all' box?). Th third time I had a windowed dialog titled 'Sign-in process initialization failure' which stated that 'Sign-in process initialization has failed. Please check the event log for details'.

I was able to use another device to find the two-button shutdown as a remedy that worked when a standard reboot failed. I've had my best attempt at finding relevant info from the event log, but to no avail.

A cold boot losing all open files and session data is a pretty crap way to wake a 21st century flagship PC - any ideas out there?

msolok

Sounds like you have some sort of Windows fault. The first thing to look for is if you have something connected to the Surface (USB, SO card, blue tooth, keyboard etc.) And disconnect them. Test and see if the issue continues.

Next thing to look for is some software that has been installed which is causing the Windows service to crash. Take a look through your Task Manager for anything suspicious and remove it (kill the process and u install the software). Hopefully there is something in the event log that can point to the possible cause (there really should be something there).

If you get no joy here look at reverting to a restore point before the issue started. The restore point won't delete any of your data, but it will return Windows to the state Windows was in when the restore point was taken. This means any Software, Windows Updates and driver that were installed since will be removed. You will then be able to slowly reapply the changes and find what was causing the issue.

Last thing to do is a refresh from the Recovery partition on the Surface. You will have to start over again with a fresh Windows install (so back up all your data!) But you will be clean and shouldn't have any issues.

Edit: I would also recommend that before you put your device to sleep you always save. It is the best practice and best insurance against issues. Not saving is asking for trouble.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Four times in the last week I've woken my SP3 to find that I was unable to log in, and even standard shutdown or reboot failed to render any improvement.
On three of these occasions (first, second and fourth), I had in yellow text on a black background the message 'the number of connections to this computer is limited and all connections are in use right now. Try connecting later or contact your system administrator', with a box to click OK. (Where is the 'Not OK at all' box?). Th third time I had a windowed dialog titled 'Sign-in process initialization failure' which stated that 'Sign-in process initialization has failed. Please check the event log for details'.

I was able to use another device to find the two-button shutdown as a remedy that worked when a standard reboot failed. I've had my best attempt at finding relevant info from the event log, but to no avail.

A cold boot losing all open files and session data is a pretty crap way to wake a 21st century flagship PC - any ideas out there?
Is this a local, domain (work provided) or Microsoft Account (formally Live)? If it is a Microsoft Account and you are getting this message it could also be that a MUI App has your account information wrong and is attempting to authenticate to Microsoft Service, and more nefarious it could be someone is attempting to gain control of you Microsoft Account from the Internet (Brut Force attack on your Outlook.com or Xbox, etc.)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm wondering if this device properly activated or reactivated.

Malware bot activity is another thought but a scan with Malwarebytes should clear that possibility. .