What's new

Updated Firmware and Drivers - August 30, 2016

macmee

Seeing none of the issues in the thread....

Some of the issues are related to the AU update and the update for AU that came out on Tuesday should have fixed the CPU Issue....

You sure you read the same thread I linked to? Out of the 5 issues people posted in the thread only 1 of them was from the AU update, the rest were all from this one:

> Sleep of Death is back on my Surface Book. It was perfect for over two months, and today, it just didn't wake up.

and

> Battery still draining from my SP4 while shutdown. I'll get it replaced, should be a hardware fault on my unit.

and

> I had no turbo boost issues until this update. It not is jammed at 3.2+ GHz and will not come down

and

> SP4. Never had a battery drain issue before. Found out just now that half a day since I last put it to sleep, battery went from 100%->3%

Also not to come off as an ass, but are you affiliated with Microsoft? Or are you just more optimistic about their products than I am?

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You sure you read the same thread I linked to? Out of the 5 issues people posted in the thread only 1 of them was from the AU update, the rest were all from this one:

> Sleep of Death is back on my Surface Book. It was perfect for over two months, and today, it just didn't wake up.

and

> Battery still draining from my SP4 while shutdown. I'll get it replaced, should be a hardware fault on my unit.

and

> I had no turbo boost issues until this update. It not is jammed at 3.2+ GHz and will not come down

and

> SP4. Never had a battery drain issue before. Found out just now that half a day since I last put it to sleep, battery went from 100%->3%

Also not to come off as an ass, but are you affiliated with Microsoft? Or are you just more optimistic about their products than I am?
Yes, I read it.....

I do not work for Microsoft but I use my SP4 everyday for 16-18 hours a day to run my Consulting Practice, I employ a team of consultants and we all use SP3's and SP4's.....

My SP4 goes into S0iX, I typically lose 1-3% battery overnight, I've been on Battery today for 6 hours today allowing it to go into S0iX between meetings and I'm currently at 51% battery.

Gtfeckner

Is it just my impression or is the battery lasting only 2-3 hours now......

Not here. I have been watching YouTube videos and web browsing for 3,8 hours now (one of them with maximum screen brightness) and used 50% battery. Right now, with Edge and minimum brightness it's draining battery at a rate of 12% every hour.

I would call this, completely normal performance.

macmee

Yes, I read it.....

I do not work for Microsoft but I use my SP4 everyday for 16-18 hours a day to run my Consulting Practice, I employ a team of consultants and we all use SP3's and SP4's.....

My SP4 goes into S0iX, I typically lose 1-3% battery overnight, I've been on Battery today for 6 hours today allowing it to go into S0iX between meetings and I'm currently at 51% battery.

I was curious because I don't know what "MVP, MCLC, MCT" means, and you're in Seattle :)

But yeah since the AU update my surface has been decent so I don't want to mess anything up, particularly battery, since I can only get about 6 hours total out of it anyway on W10 which is terrible IMO.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was curious because I don't know what "MVP, MCLC, MCT" means, and you're in Seattle :)

But yeah since the AU update my surface has been decent so I don't want to mess anything up, particularly battery, since I can only get about 6 hours total out of it anyway on W10 which is terrible IMO.

MVP - Microsoft Valuable Professional - Independent Experts on Microsoft Technology
MCLC - Microsoft Certified Learning Consultant (Combining IT Consulting and Learning Programs - Board Certification)
MCT - Microsoft Certified Trainer (by Microsoft Learning delivered through a Learning Partner Channel)

Seattle - Work for a Marketing Agency that uses IT/Business Strategy Consultant methods to deliver Technology/Business Marketing to our customers including Boeing, Alaska Airlines, VMware, Amazon, BigFish Games, Microsoft, Google, FHLB, Brinks Security and some State and Local Government Agencies I can't list....

macmee

MVP - Microsoft Valuable Professional - Independent Experts on Microsoft Technology
MCLC - Microsoft Certified Learning Consultant (Combining IT Consulting and Learning Programs - Board Certification)
MCT - Microsoft Certified Trainer (by Microsoft Learning delivered through a Learning Partner Channel)

Seattle - Work for a Marketing Agency that uses IT/Business Strategy Consultant methods to deliver Technology/Business Marketing to our customers including Boeing, Alaska Airlines, VMware, Amazon, BigFish Games, Microsoft, Google, FHLB, Brinks Security and some State and Local Government Agencies I can't list....

If you send me a free copy of vmware workstation I promise I'll keep my opinions about the surface to myself for the rest of the year ;)

Derekamoss

I wish they would get rid of the stupid command prompt window that flashes when you login. Perfect before the CPU screw up update.

macmee

dhJifrg.png

lol Microsoft is complete garbage. Update windows = murder your battery life every time.

Edit: appears that after updating, the CPU is fixed at 2.47Ghz and even in low power and battery saving mode, and with *no* programs running the CPU is not down cycling.

Garbage.

Derekamoss

dhJifrg.png

lol Microsoft is complete garbage. Update windows = murder your battery life every time.

Edit: appears that after updating, the CPU is fixed at 2.47Ghz and even in low power and battery saving mode, and with *no* programs running the CPU is not down cycling.

Garbage.
There should be a firmware update that fixes that after you upgrade to AU. It was a well known issue.

macmee

There should be a firmware update that fixes that after you upgrade to AU. It was a well known issue.
I didn't have the issue until this latest update. I turned connected standby off and that seemed to fix it but now I'm without connected standby.

Becosemsaida

Even after the update and several reboots........ Battery time fully charged is about 3H, device in idle. At 50% it gives me 1H and at 25% it only lasts about 10 min untill i need to plug it in. YES i have a clean install, YES i have all updated to the latest, YES this is not the first charge, NO i have nothing installed that could eat my battery (Office 2013 for now only still in test this piece of.....) So after the struggle to get this to work and have some decent battery life (yep still advertised as 9H of battery life) what is next? It took Microsoft about 1 month to solve the "stuck CPU" problem, about 1 Year to solve some major problems for the Surface 3....... Give me a break please.

My MSI laptop lasts more on battery then this tablet and this is with a load on it..... Surface just needs to operat the OS.

Beco