What's new

Surface Pro 4 firmware/hardware updates 4/19/2016

Compusmurf

for the firmware ones, in compmgmt, device manager, act like you're going to update driver, choose browse my pc, then choose let me pick from my pc, choose the MARCH ones. as it installs, it'll ask for reboot. do all the ones with errors BEFORE rebooting. :)

jztimmons

Power down the machine (Shut down), hold the Volume Rocker Up and press the power button until the Surface Logo comes up and let go, exit UEFI and reboot and see if the Update Applies....

Tried that but no good. I eventually did a roll back through device manager and rebooted to UEFI as you mention above. Exited and logged in. I went to Updates and manually kicked off. The two pieces successfully installed this time. Whew! Now... curious how video (screen flicker) and sleep mode (hot bag) will behave.

My SB4 did the update last Wednesday April 20, 2016, and was very surprised on how well it has been operating.

DOCK WORKS !!!!! OMG that investment I mad in Dec finally can be used. I have my LG Ultra Wide Monitor via DP to the Dock, and plug in and works. No blanking the screen, no moving the cable back and forth from the the Surface to the Dock, just works.

Now the concern... I 'hibernated' the Surface @ home on the Dock, got to work, plugged into the Dock @ Work.... BSoD.....
It is Windows, and only the 3rd one ever, no need to panic....
The the odd thing, on Reboot, it went to
2016-04-27%2007.42.44.jpg

but upside right. It was Orange / Yellow, and I checked there were no updates applied today....

IS this telling me that the SYSTEM UPDATE did not apply last week?

ronf

Received the update to my wife's SP4, and she had the strange power issue others are describing, requiring a hard reset of the device. Upon returning home and trying to dock it, the external monitor (Samsung 40" 4k TV) would not come on. After a bit of wrangling we got it "working", but now the highest resolution it shows is 1920x1280, whereas before the update it was running 3840 x 2560. I have tried plugging directly into the MDP port on the surface instead of the dock, but that doesn't seem to fix anything either. We are using a Microsoft Surface DP -> HDMI adapter if that matters, but it seems to be driver / firmware related as that is the only change we are aware of. Anyone else seeing a similar issue?

My SB4 did the update last Wednesday April 20, 2016, and was very surprised on how well it has been operating.

DOCK WORKS !!!!! OMG that investment I mad in Dec finally can be used. I have my LG Ultra Wide Monitor via DP to the Dock, and plug in and works. No blanking the screen, no moving the cable back and forth from the the Surface to the Dock, just works.

Now the concern... I 'hibernated' the Surface @ home on the Dock, got to work, plugged into the Dock @ Work.... BSoD.....
It is Windows, and only the 3rd one ever, no need to panic....
The the odd thing, on Reboot, it went to
2016-04-27%2007.42.44.jpg

but upside right. It was Orange / Yellow, and I checked there were no updates applied today....

IS this telling me that the SYSTEM UPDATE did not apply last week?

Since this 'late' system update, my DOCK and Monitor are no longer consistently working. Blank Screen until I pull the DP cord off and back on :( for a week it worked perfect!!!

Since this 'late' system update, my DOCK and Monitor are no longer consistently working. Blank Screen until I pull the DP cord off and back on :( for a week it worked perfect!!!
And now the black screen for a log in is back (AKA, the screens are all black, but actually at a login. If I use the fingerprint reader, it will login)

MisterEdF

I did the update this morning.. without a glitch. So am a happy camper.

+1 Was going to wait but took the plunge and everything updated flawlessly. :)

FWIW the device is in the SP3 dock with external mouse & an external USB drive. & fingerprint keyboard attached. i5 8GB

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Just checking back in since the update, and I'm happy to say that my SP4 is now pretty much rock solid. I haven't had a lockup, failure to wake, Windows Hello login issue, black screen on waking, Type Cover disconnect, or any of the other issues I was experiencing prior to the April update. I can't say my battery life is drastically improved, but it was never terrible and I'm happy to have the stability. Also nice is that thermal management has improved as well--my fan now runs pretty much only when I'm actually pushing the machine somehow.

I'd now rate my SP4 as an excellent machine without reservation, one of the best I've owned.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

I have the exact same experience with by SB. :mad:

It magically started to happen this weekend. I went crazy doing all sorts of testing and uninstalling certain apps and reinstalling.

Then, when it would work, my test would be to do 3 reboots to see if it stuck, but the most I ever got was 2/3.

I eventually gave up and I'm sure glad I found your post.

Nuspieds

And now the black screen for a log in is back (AKA, the screens are all black, but actually at a login. If I use the fingerprint reader, it will login)
For me, it's not all screens, just the Surface screen. Hello works and I login successfully, but Surface screen stays completely black.