What's new

Upgraded to Surface2, but now websites showing up in "mobile" versions

sseltz

Anyone have any idea why the default value for websites would have spontaneously shifted to "mobile" versions -- and how I can rectify this?

I had the same problem with sites displaying as mobile versions. I found "UC BROWSER HD" in the store and use it for problem sites. Works like a charm, I'll continue to use it until MS fixes the IE problem.

oion

I had the same problem with sites displaying as mobile versions. I found "UC BROWSER HD" in the store and use it for problem sites. Works like a charm, I'll continue to use it until MS fixes the IE problem.

Interesting. But why is the company listed as a Chinese unknown publisher and the Win8 app doesn't exist on the official UC Browser site? Apparently there's a UC Browser for Windows Phone and Windows Mobile but not Windows 8 Metro. This may not be official... like those various Facebook/Youtube apps. :eek:

Interesting. But why is the company listed as a Chinese unknown publisher and the Win8 app doesn't exist on the official UC Browser site? Apparently there's a UC Browser for Windows Phone and Windows Mobile but not Windows 8 Metro. This may not be official... like those various Facebook/Youtube apps. :eek:

All true, but it has solved the problem for those occasional sites that are not compliant. No problems using it so far.

oion

All true, but it has solved the problem for those occasional sites that are not compliant. No problems using it so far.

As long as you're happy being the commodity sold. :)

Besides the compatibility list setting, Tgrey brings up a good point about many sites having the option to switch between modes. Definitely not all. (For this forum, bottom right corner.) I wish IE11 had the old Developer tools for emulating earlier versions, though. :(

Aaron

With the new market being filled with Windows 8 powered touch devices, a lot of developers and designers have chosen to display "mobile" websites based upon device, operating system, or user agent. Therefore, seeing as the Windows tablets are touch based, they could be being targeted for mobile versions.

If this is the case, you may not be able to do anything about it until these websites decide to make a better, more progressive route.

ctitanic

With the new market being filled with Windows 8 powered touch devices, a lot of developers and designers have chosen to display "mobile" websites based upon device, operating system, or user agent. Therefore, seeing as the Windows tablets are touch based, they could be being targeted for mobile versions.

If this is the case, you may not be able to do anything about it until these websites decide to make a better, more progressive route.

You nailed down.

kristalsoldier

I am quite sure I saw this UC Browser in the App Store, though I have not used it.