What's new

USB 3.0 hub for SP3 I7 256G

GDJJR

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a Surface Pro 128GB and a Surface Pro 3 I7 256GB. I am right now using an ANKER USB3.0 4-Port hub, plugged into the USB port of the Surface Pro (not the SP3). One Port of this hub contains the dohickie enabling the Microsoft keyboard and mouse to communicate with the SP. When I want to transfer files from a 500GM external drive I plug this drive into the second port on the hub and after a few seconds, Windows acknowledges the drive and I have no trouble transferring files.

Unfortunately, this setup does not work on the SP3. When I connect the hub to the SP3's USB port and then put the dohickie in the first port on the hub the keyboard and mouse work fine. But when I plug the USB drive into the second port on the hub, the light on the drive goes on indicating power, but Windows never acknowledges the drive. If I plug the drive directly into the USB port on the SP3 I have no problem reading it and writing to it.

Does anyone out there know of anyone successfully using a UBS 3.0 hub on an SP3 i7 and having multiple ports work?

P.S. I am reluctant to buy the docking stations for 3 reasons; 1) its cost 2) its size 3) there have been reports of failure of the video output.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

My guess is that the drive is pulling more power than the Surface can output with the other devices attached. A powered HUB would have worked or a drive that has its own power.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it a powered hub? The SP3 doesn't put out much juice on the usb port, using a non-powered hub, i can have a pair of wireless/bluetooth dongles connected, but if i plug in a usb thumb drive, the whole lot stop working.

OP
G

GDJJR

Thanks. Any recommendations for a good powered hub? Would Best Buy be a good place to look? Amazon has a "7-port USB 3.0 hub w/ power adaptor" for $30. Maybe I should try that.

OP
G

GDJJR

Thanks for your reply. Another person made the same suggestion. I'm curious about 1 thing. Is it surprising that the SP3 USB port has enough juice to power the USB drive (its actually a hard disk, not flash memory) when the drive is plugged directly into it, but not when it is plugged in via the hub?

leeshor

Not unusual at all. It's common on laptops, (and even on some desktops), as well that only have one "internal" HUB controlling the USB. Sometimes people can get it to work if the laptop is plugged in as well, sometimes not.

ptrkhh

Try using another cable if you have one in your house.
The cable that came with my USB2.0 hub couldn't power my USB2.0 HDD back then. Then I tried using the charging cable of my old HTC Hermes, and it worked!

Rahul

I have the 7 port powered USB 3 hub from Anker and the thumb drive is still not recognized. So, not sure what's going on but may have to try another brand ...will update with my findings.