Use external touch monitor w/Surface Pro 3

BobReLeC

Hi,
I have:
1. A Microsoft Surface Pro 3
2. A HooToo 10 Port USB 3.0 Hub
3. A Dell P2714T touch monitor
4. Mini port w/VGA connector to computer

With 3 there is a separate USB cord that goes from 3 to 2 for touch capability. 2 goes to 1 using USB port. 4 goes to 1. For some reason this does not work. The monitor works, the touch part does not work.

I would appreciate any assistance.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try eliminating the hub (2) and plug the USB from the monitor straight into the SP3.
Do you see anything in Device Manager for the USB Touch Screen?
Any unknown or devices with yellow icons on them in Device Manager?

aside the monitor has DisplayPort and HDMI inputs... why use VGA?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dell TouchScreen Troubleshooting Steps
• Use the Dell provided USB cable to connect your computer.
• Make sure the power cable has a ground pin.
• Unplug and replug the power cable from the power adapter to allow auto-recalibration of the touch module. • Make sure computer support USB 2.0 or later.
• If the display cannot be detected by the computer, power off/on the monitor or unplug and replug the USB cable.

I'm not sure exactly what will show up in Device Manager or if there will be other nodes created elsewhere Id check thoroughly for any Dell Devices... This section gives a clue to one location...
Touch screen non-responsive in power-save mode
1. Access Device Manager, expand HID Interface Device under Human Device.
2. Right click HID- compliant device, click Properties and select the check-box to allow the device to wake the computer.

Calibration
1. Open Control Panel, open Hardware and Sound, and then open Tablet PC Settings.
2. Select Calibration.
3. Follow the instructions to recalibrate your screen

OP
B

BobReLeC

Try eliminating the hub (2) and plug the USB from the monitor straight into the SP3.
Do you see anything in Device Manager for the USB Touch Screen?
Any unknown or devices with yellow icons on them in Device Manager?

aside the monitor has DisplayPort and HDMI inputs... why use VGA?
RESPONSE
I eliminated the hub (2) and plug the USB from the monitor straight into the SP3. No change.
There is nothing in the Device Manager for USB Touch Screen
No yellow icons in Device Manager.

Side Bar
Where is the HDMI input plug in?
Why not use VGA? Why use HDMI over others (advantages)?

OP
B

BobReLeC

• Use the Dell provided USB cable to connect your computer. >>>>>>>>>>>>Through (2)???
• Make sure the power cable has a ground pin. >>>>>>>Power cable from Monitor???
• Unplug and replug the power cable from the power adapter to allow auto-recalibration of the touch module. • Make sure computer support USB 2.0 or later. >>>>>>>>What power adapter???
• If the display cannot be detected by the computer, power off/on the monitor or unplug and replug the USB cable. >>>>>>>>Done/No change

OP
B

BobReLeC

I'm not sure exactly what will show up in Device Manager or if there will be other nodes created elsewhere Id check thoroughly for any Dell Devices... This section gives a clue to one location...
Touch screen non-responsive in power-save mode
1. Access Device Manager, expand HID Interface Device (Human Interface Devices) under Human Device?.
2. Right click HID- compliant device (Can't find), click Properties and select the check-box to allow the device to wake the computer.

OP
B

BobReLeC

Calibration
1. Open Control Panel, open Hardware and Sound, and then open Tablet PC Settings.
2. Select Calibration.
3. Follow the instructions to recalibrate your screen

I followed this process and had to touch on the sp3 monitor. It would not work on the Dell monitor. Did not work.