What's new

Very strange touch cover issue!

souldier

Hi guys I have a very strange issue with my touch cover. At random the other day, the entire touch cover stopped working EXCEPT the volume controls, play/pause button, and the touch pad. Every other key doesn't work. I've tried just about everything to remedy the issue like disconnect/reconnect, restart, update drivers, clean metal connectors, check ease of access settings, etc.

Anyone have any solutions?

Second question is if I want to claim warranty, should I do it through the mail, or go straight tot he Microsoft Store even though I never bought it from there?

Afy

If you have an MS Store close by.. go there. Else mail.
I had my touch cover replaced and it came in a day or two via mail.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
They replaced 2 Touch Covers for me since I purchased mine, didn't even do any formal exchange...

OP
souldier

souldier

So I went to the Microsoft store. It actually turned out that it was a software/driver issue rather than a touch cover issue after all. I found this strange because I always keep my SP up to date via windows update and it often does firmware updates but APPARENTELY the latest update in august which included touch cover updates has to be downloaded manually from the site and each driver has to be installed one by one which I find very strange.

Even though the issue wasn't hardware related, he saw that my touch cover had a small opening near the metal connector so he replaced it no questions free of charge!

deldalton

That's great news. Glad it's sorted!

I find it odd that a manual update is required. How is everyone notified of the manual update?

CrippsCorner

That's good service, and I'm glad your problem is resolved. I really hope they open some stores in the UK!

jdtimothy

Hi guys I have a very strange issue with my touch cover. At random the other day, the entire touch cover stopped working EXCEPT the volume controls, play/pause button, and the touch pad. Every other key doesn't work. I've tried just about everything to remedy the issue like disconnect/reconnect, restart, update drivers, clean metal connectors, check ease of access settings, etc.

Anyone have any solutions?

Second question is if I want to claim warranty, should I do it through the mail, or go straight tot he Microsoft Store even though I never bought it from there?

How did you manually install the drivers for your touch cover? Windows update just upgraded my surface rt firmware and now my type cover doesn't work, only the volume buttons.

aratnon

I think this problem occurred by updating patch 14/10/14 I have to recover to get touch cover work again.

OP
souldier

souldier

to faithful.dushness and the rest who have this strange touch cover issue where perhaps only the touch pad is working. Here is what I did that fixed my issue completely:

1. Go to this link Download Surface Pro firmware and driver pack from Official Microsoft Download Center
2. Click download
3. Download "August2013SurfacePro.zip" - which is the latest firmware that DOES NOT update automatically through Windows Update
4. Unzip all the contents
5. Open the "Microsoft" folder
6. Open "SurfaceTouchCover" folder
7. Right click "SurfaceTouchCover"
8. Click "Install"
9. Repeat steps 5-8 for all the desired drivers that you'd like to update.
10. Restart your system

WHY IN THE WORLD would Microsoft release drivers online and make it so unintuitive to install without announcing it to anyone is beyond me.