What's new

Weight Supported on Hinge? (Canvas Mode)

sdreamer

Anyone know how much weight is supported on the hinge? Afraid of using canvas mode for what its meant (as a canvas) because of my "heavy" hand. Can't find any real documentation of this and every time I rest my palm there is some give, but how much give is too much. This is like the main reason I got Microsoft complete in case this destroys the kickstand.

bluegrass

I have know idea what canvas mode is. Is that where you put your hand on the screen when the kickstand is opened as close to the being flat as possible and putting all your weight on your hand pushing down on the screen? I think if that is the canvas mode, I could easily bust my kickstand using that mode.

ipaq_101

malberttoo

If you're talking about the kickstand being fully opened to it's widest position, then I personally wouldn't use it to support the weight of my whole hand/arm. Just look at the components involved, no way could they be engineered for that. I only ever write when it's flat on the table.

drzeller

I've used it nearly all the way back for note taking in a meeting. I had to limit the pressure of my hand so it would go all the way back. Using this method, you'll know to let up before any damage can be done. It feels awkward at first, but keep at it, and it gets more natural.

David

bluegrass

Gotcha, I think. Canvas mode is setting your Surface nearly flat for using the pen to do artwork. I think the kick stand hinge is only good for light weight pressure when in this position. If I was an artist & I thought I might be applying a lot of pressure or weight to the screen I would custom build something to lay my surface on with the angle that you like to work on your "canvas" with. For a quicky, I would just remove the keyboard and place a magazine or two under it or better yet, a foam wedge of the right angle that the artist likes to work at would be a great choice.

OP
S

sdreamer

Wish MS said more about this. During their demo/announcement they dubbed that angle of the kickstand "canvas mode." Panos made it seem like it was the angle for artists to do work. After using it a little bit it almost seems like it's scary to actually use it for actual pen work at this angle.