What's new

Poll Which internet browser do you use?

Which internet browser do you use?

• Total voters

razy60

used to use chrome but due to it causing heat and fan issues and due to the fact that ie doesn't cause this, I'm using mainly ie would prefer to use metro version but on win10 so desktop only, I tried opera but it has the same problems.

Grumpy2

Actually IE is very well up on the Standards, although there was a time when it had fallen behind those days are past. Vendors though are always introducing *new* ways of dong things, mostly to their advantage not the advancement of standards.

Sites that implement *new* features using proprietary or non-standard methods casually, do a great disservice to anyone that visits their site. There are legitimate needs at times to use non-standard methods without compatible alternatives that support any browser however those are the exception. Bottom line, most web site issues of incompatibility are caused by unprofessionalism and arrogance of the developers with total disregard for anyone who does not follow them like the pied piper into oblivion.
Greyfox7 I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence. My opinion of developers is not a very good one. They seem to have attitude as well as arrogance problems which leads to their software being released "half baked" and then they have to put out patches to correct the problems. I have seen lots of program's that have been developed for clients that have simply not worked. And then the developer blames everyone else other than themselves.

JoshB

I use Chrome Canary in desktop and Metro mode. I love the sync between systems, the integration with my email and calender, and the lovely utility apps that give more usability than IE can provide.

bluegrass

IE all the way. I just browse websites. Don't know why you need a bunch of add ins to view a website. I guess the majority agrees. I do use chrome on my F150.

EpilEpic

Does anyone has an overview of the battery usage of the different browsers (regular & Metro interface)?

I absolutely prefer Chrome but since this browser reduced my battery life to max 3hours I was forced to use Internet Explorer and I am missing a lot of functionality here. So I would like to see if there are good alternatives which offer me the best of two worlds: Functionality & Battery Life.

C.O

I mentioned this over on reddit, anybody have other tips on improving Chrome for Surface's?

"I know a lot of people are switching over to FireFox and IE, but there's just so much about Chrome that I've grown to be used to and I can't leave behind. Activating those touch-related settings on the chrome://flags (Ctrl+F "Touch") got me to enjoy Chrome a bit more, as well as downloading that recommended H264ify (which I have yet to notice a difference as I don't spend much time on YouTube)http://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/2xey54/vp9_is_killing_your_surface/"

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I just view Chrome as a purely coded product and will not install it on my machine....

EpilEpic

For chrome, Also disabling Hardware Acceleration in Advanced Settings helps a lot!

Well I tried that, but it didn't change a thing.
I'm guessing the problem is in the extentions I use but then again that doesn't explain why the battery still drained when I'm not using Chrome...
Like I said, since disabling it my battery life tripled but I am missing it's functionality sooo much...

I mentioned this over on reddit, anybody have other tips on improving Chrome for Surface's?

"I know a lot of people are switching over to FireFox and IE, but there's just so much about Chrome that I've grown to be used to and I can't leave behind. Activating those touch-related settings on the chrome://flags (Ctrl+F "Touch") got me to enjoy Chrome a bit more, as well as downloading that recommended H264ify (which I have yet to notice a difference as I don't spend much time on YouTube)http://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/2xey54/vp9_is_killing_your_surface/"

The VP isn't the problem either, I rarely watch video's on youtube or similar services, that's something I rather do at home on my desktop, however thanks for the hint, as I'm planning to replace my desktop with a SP3 dock this might come in handy in the future!

Umut

Do we have an alternative for touch-based ie metro version? There are tons of good desktop browsers, but I can`t find tablet optimised browsers.