What's new

Who is using Windows 10 on Surface 3?

I understand Windows 10 is available, or will be.

Who has upgraded to Windows 10 and is happy?
Who has upgraded to Windows 10 and is not happy?

What do you like or not like about it using it with the Surface 3? I haven't seen an offer to upgrade, how does one go about getting it?

StumpJumper

I understand Windows 10 is available, or will be.

Who has upgraded to Windows 10 and is happy?
Who has upgraded to Windows 10 and is not happy?

What do you like or not like about it using it with the Surface 3? I haven't seen an offer to upgrade, how does one go about getting it?
I have updated my Surface 3 and my windows 8.1 desktop and HP laptop without any problems so far. All are working great! I am happy at this point.

CDG

I have upgraded my Surface 3 to Windows 10, the whole process was smooth and took under an hour.

A couple of apps crashed after the upgrade but uninstalling and re installing took care of them.

I like Windows 10 on my Surface and my overall experience has been very good.

That said, I have only used it in the desktop mode so far and most complaints are about the tablet mode in all such devices.

stlbud

I installed it. Ran for three days and was miserable. Edge was unstable. Looking at all the updates that have been coming out since the "release" indicates it is still in beta. I'm back to W8.1 and happy with it. I'll try again in October after the big second wave roll out.

Gus

I find a loss of functionality under Win 10. The are just little things but annoying.

One Note no longer opens with the pen if I am logged out. I get a login screen instead of a note page.

Swipe down from the lock screen to access the camera is gone. Now I have to log in and find the camera app to access the camera.

The windows icon is basically useless now since it only brings up the start button.

There is no brightness slider one click away anymore. You have the option of 25/50/75/100% only in the notification panel. All of those settings are rather bright for reading at night. To access the slider you have to right click on the battery icon to get to the adjustments slider at the bottom of the power options page.

It seems the surface was designed and optimized around win8 and no word from Microsoft when and if we will get these functions back.

Sportznut

I wish I had waited to upgrade to Win 10. I only had windows 8.1 pro for a short time but I much preferred it.

I now have curser, mouse, video, swipe, and app issues I did not have before. I will sort through them and live with it until they are all fixed but I learned lesson......my needs are basic so I don't need to be on the cutting edge. Let the ones that are much smarter and more advanced than me work out the bugs.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish I had waited to upgrade to Win 10. I only had windows 8.1 pro for a short time but I much preferred it.

I now have curser, mouse, video, swipe, and app issues I did not have before. I will sort through them and live with it until they are all fixed but I learned lesson......my needs are basic so I don't need to be on the cutting edge. Let the ones that are much smarter and more advanced than me work out the bugs.
In the Recovery Options you can Go Back to 8.1 for up to 30 days from upgrade. You still have 11 months left to take advantage of the free upgrade.

See Upgrade observations and post upgrade Recovery Options

There are also some instructions in there on how to fix some things which are broken after you go back. pretty quick and easy, why suffer.

OppfinnarJocke

I updated my SP3 W8.1 to W10 on the first day it was available. I was very satisfied... initially. I think W10 does a much better job than did W8.1 of separating desktop and tablet modes and being explicit about it. However, there are also some things W8.1 did better than what W10 does. For instance, if I am in tablet mode with rotation lock on and I put the SP3 to sleep, and then attach the keyboard and wake up the SP3, I get asked if I want to go to desktop mode and I click yes. Now I cannot adjust the rotation lock in any way, I have to detach the keyboard, and switch to tablet mode, only then can I unlock the rotation lock. This W8.1 handled much better.

Also, after the cumulative update, the built-in mail app no longer works with my company exchange server. It was a bit tricky to get it fully functional but eventually I managed (had to set up the account using the calendar app), but after the cumulative update the app is just a dust collector.

In short... the honeymoon with W10 on my SP3 was short. But then, I was never happy with W8.1 either, so that divorce was still a good thing.

mfgillia

Decided to wait a month after reading about the issues some were having. So in just the last two days finally made the switch to Windows 10. After having some problems upgrading a Yoga Thinkpad that were fixed by a clean install decided to do the same for the Surface 3 versus waiting awhile after the upgrade. To make a long story short, I got stuck in Windows 10 without being able to install the firmware. Windows support was great - they walked me through the process of installing a Surface 3 windows 8.1 image back on the device to regain control then I immediately upgraded to 10.

So far its been pretty good - very stable and relatively snappy. I generally like the new layout, the mail app and overall enjoying the process of getting comfortable with new OS. The only thing I really miss is metro IE and being able to swipe up from the bottom to get favorites and switch tabs as well as being able to switch apps from swiping in from the left. The new task view is great but wished I could close apps by swiping them away versus hitting the small X, which has been hit or miss so far. The other thing I noticed is that the palm rejection when using OneNote desktop version doesn't seem to work as well as it did in Windows 8.1 while taking notes.