What's new

who's NOT upgrading to sp3?

Dayton

I know the new screen ratio makes for a better tablet experience, now much better in portrait, but I do like 16:9 as I watch a lot of video on my SP2 especially now with the World Cup. I'm not a fan of the black bars which always seem to show the flaws that commonly appear at the edges of an IPS screen.

I have the SP2 8/256 and I am not going to upgrade.

Briefly, there was talk about an at-cost upgrade from Microsoft stores. If that turned out to be true, I probably would have upgraded. But until we have a dramatically better CPU or GPU I'm not spending real money on an upgrade. The larger screen of the SP3 is attractive but it's not worth the cost. I also have reservations about how the new pen will work.

OP
M

mtalinm

I have the SP2 8/256 and I am not going to upgrade.

Briefly, there was talk about an at-cost upgrade from Microsoft stores. If that turned out to be true, I probably would have upgraded. But until we have a dramatically better CPU or GPU I'm not spending real money on an upgrade. The larger screen of the SP3 is attractive but it's not worth the cost. I also have reservations about how the new pen will work.

local MSFT store said they'd give me $400 for my 8/256 SP2 with a keyboard. that's the same deal as I got for my 4/128 SP1. puke

Nfinity

Honestly, I'm disappointed they still haven't incorporated a second USB port. No matter the upgrades made to the SP3, that was the one I was looking for. That being said, they did address one issue I have with the SP2: Vertical work space. As a fledgling programmer, it's sometimes frustrating being limited to working with so little visible code at a time.

Beyond that, I'm in love with my SP2. After calibrating my stylus, the accuracy improvement of the n-trig stylus isn't a selling point. Inversely, the battery in the SP3 pen is a deterrent. Also, I love the magnetic connection between the SP1/2 and the Wacom pen. It's so dang handy, and I use it constantly. I tried the fabric holder for the SP3, and dislike it greatly.

So, what is left for me are two very comparable products.
-SP2 is more portable, though heavier (a definite down side).
-The i5 CPU's are the same (with minor differences), thus speed is near-identical.
-The MS capacitive button is ideally placed on the SP2.
-Many of the bugs associated with the SP2 hardware have been addressed (most recently the WiFi vs Bluetooth issue). A new SP3 owner will have to face new SP3 problems.
-Finally, the kickstand is preferred on the 2. "WHAT!?" you ask? I am constantly toggling/switching angles of the SP2, and I've accustomed myself to doing it with a single finger and a single hand, an action I was not comfortably (or at all) able to replicate on the extremely resistive SP3 kickstand.

So, I say to you all that I am very pleased with my SP2, and look forward to seeing what the SP4 has to bring to the table. At that point, provided it has (at least) two USB ports, I may consider upgrading.

Hope this helps. =)

maguu2u

I am not bashing microsoft, however I have no faith in the company to support thier devices in Australia..

I am still unable to buy a power cover or docking station locally in Aus and Microsoft has remained frustratingly silent..

We do not all live in the good old USA .

Do not release a new product when I can't even buy the PROMISED accessories for the current one, and no I am not interested in buying overpriced accessories from ebay.

I can't even recommend their products even though I believe they are the best available IMO.

Not a rant, use it every day and love it...the parts that I do have.

Peace, out.

revmike

I went from a 5" screen to 7" to 8.9" to the sp2. For my use the 10.6" screen is perfect for my needs so no to an upgrade.

CrippsCorner

I am not bashing microsoft, however I have no faith in the company to support thier devices in Australia..

I am still unable to buy a power cover or docking station locally in Aus and Microsoft has remained frustratingly silent..

We do not all live in the good old USA .

Do not release a new product when I can't even buy the PROMISED accessories for the current one, and no I am not interested in buying overpriced accessories from ebay.

I can't even recommend their products even though I believe they are the best available IMO.

Not a rant, use it every day and love it...the parts that I do have.

Peace, out.

I feel ya. Dude I won a Surface directly from Microsoft but they said I couldn't have it as I wasn't American :( I love Microsoft, but sometimes I really fucking hate them too...

GoodBytes

I feel ya. Dude I won a Surface directly from Microsoft but they said I couldn't have it as I wasn't American :( I love Microsoft, but sometimes I really fucking hate them too...

The problem has to do with laws and regulations from where you are, and where the company is.
For example, all draws where you can win something in Canada, the province of Quebec, where I am, is ALWAYS excluded form it. And they are none in within Quebec due to the huge amount of red tape, and super high taxes to pay on the value of the product.
Sometimes you can find people doing a world wide contest, but in the majority of times, based on where the winner is, it is technically illegal, but because it is an individual doing it or at worst a tiny small company, its doesn't fall on the radar of authorities. But a company like Microsoft, could lead to huge penalties to pay, including their own lawyers, making that Surface that you won, not cost the price of the system, but rather hundred of thousands of dollars, even reach close to millions.

rubaxter

I'll take my money and buy a new iPad Air with LTE when they come out so I get a real tablet w/a tablet infrastructure instead of an almost laptop that's now too big, yet too small in so many ways (that infrastructure thing, again), at the same time.

Got jobbed on the iPad 3 to iPad 4 6 month release, but that was peanuts compared to the Jobbing I feel I've just taken from MS on the Surface Pro.

No more experimenting.