What's new

Solved Windows 10 - microphone no longer works

garymg001

Just upgraded to windows 10 on pro 3. Tried to use Cortana but microphone no longer works. When I try speech recognition, bard move on display indicating that sound is being heard but message pops up stating that "the pc can not hear anything"

OP
G

garymg001

Thanks JasperTheDog. That worked but something strange is going on. Speech recognition works but when I try top use Cortana I think she turns the microphone down to zero! If I have the microphone properties on display with volume set to 100% (or anything other than 0%) and say "hi Cortana" she listens BUT the microphone volume goes down to zero and she can not hear. If I try to hold the volume bar to 100% Cortana closes! I am in the UK, has this feature been turned off?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@garymg001

Start Device Manager and remove your Realtek sound device. Then reboot. Windows 10 will take a fresh look at your hardware and take care of the settings. When that is done, try the microphone button next to Cortana's search bar one time. From that point on, she should be actively listening.

OP
G

garymg001

@garymg001

Start Device Manager and remove your Realtek sound device. Then reboot. Windows 10 will take a fresh look at your hardware and take care of the settings. When that is done, try the microphone button next to Cortana's search bar one time. From that point on, she should be actively listening.

Worked first time, fantastic thanks for your help.

ctitanic

@garymg001

Actually this worked! Thanks!

jonnym

hello
I have an SP1 with the same issues. I've tried both the suggested fixes but they don't work for me. I deleted the high def audio device from the sound and game controller in device manager as I don't have a listing for the realtek one and restarted but I still have the same problem.

any advice?

thanks
jonnym

kundas1

does anyone know why I have "microphone array" in my recording devices? and does anyone else have this too or is it just me?