What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

malberttoo

I'm ready to try 9926 on my SP3, but I'm wondering what is the best way to get a good image of the SP3 with 8.1 before I take the plunge...just in case :)

It's a good idea. As stated, True Image will work, but Macrium Reflect has a free version and works well also.

malberttoo

Forgive my ignorance, but how do i go about installing from scratch? Is there a combination of buttons to hold to get the device to boot from usb or something?

From a powered off state, hold down the Volume down button while you press and release the power button. Let go of the volume button when the Surface logo disappears.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Forgive my ignorance, but how do i go about installing from scratch? Is there a combination of buttons to hold to get the device to boot from usb or something?
Easiest way is to go into Update and Recovery and chose Advanced Boot Options - Restart - Boots into Advanced - Chose USB - Reboot and Install....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Easiest way is to go into Update and Recovery and chose Advanced Boot Options - Restart - Boots into Advanced - Chose USB - Reboot and Install....

Top man! Will give it a go tomorrow. Not used to a windows machine that doesn't go through the typical boot sequence.

Fubared my machine up today even more than last time having updated to 9926 having previously reverted back to 9879 from 9926.

MikeB

Hmm, could use a little help here:

I've decided to roll back to windows 8.1 for a bit, but the rollback process doesn't seem to be working right. At the boot menu, I choose the rollback option, but it goes into a tools screen instead of doing the rollback. Choices are: Continue into Windows Technical Preview, Use a device, Use another operating system, Troubleshoot, and Turn off your PC. I created a USB drive with a win 8.1 recovery image, but trying to select that (Use a device) just brings me back to the same menu.

Has anyone here done the rollback process and run into this?

MikeB

Ok, problem solved, or circumvented at least. I went thru the settings menu to rollback, rather than the boot menu choice. I'm back on 8.1 for now.

Kinson

I also wanna back to win10 again, but the camera app didnt work in the last time i try. Is the camera app working on the surface pro 3 now?

wynand32

I use Acronis TrueImage to do my backups, I think it is the 2012 or 2013 edition.

As for best practices, hard to pin down. Pages 62-64 ish had some discussion. Basically consensus seems to be do a clean slate install using a FAT32 USB key with the ISO files extracted to it. Wipe every partition into one big one then let windows do its work. You will need the January 2015 driver pack from MS so load that on the stick too in advance. Best bet is to search the thread.

I've read this a few times about needing the driver pack, but I clean installed mine to 9926 from ISO and every device was recognized without installing the driver pack. So, color me confused...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Tuesday's gone like the wind.
Only a couple of unidentified bug hot fixes for Build 9926.

nobuild.png

Screenshot (135).png

Screenshot (136).png

Screenshot (137).png

GTiceman

Well I got my first blue screens since my latest clean install last night.

Where is the new build?!?!?! I thought they said we wouldn't have gaps like Dec to Jan, coming up on almost 3 weeks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.