What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some weirdness after doing the powershell fix and installing calendar/mail/people. It got stuck in a loop of "Setting things up/installing your apps" then back to "Hi" and eventually would complain of a bad or missing handle. A hard shutdown and reboot seems to have fixed it.

mitchellvii

The new handwriting keyboard is cool but the floating version is too narrow while the docked version is too close to the bottom of the screen and makes handwriting difficult.

No one else notices there is no battery icon in the tray?

Web surfing seems to be getting faster. Whatever was slowing things down seems to be sorted.

Don't like that I can't disable animated tiles. Would really like jump lists on tiles in Start Menu. Most used list seems to bear little resemblance to actual usage. Why can't we edit tile names? All of my Office Tiles just say "Microsoft Office". Not very helpful. Why is there no animation when selecting a tile as in Windows Mobile? WHY is it so damned hard for MS to add even basic functionality to the Start Menu?

Considering the vast majority of people are right handed, why does IE dock bookmarks on the left side? Why are the navigation buttons on the top left side? Wouldn't navigation buttons on the bottom right make more sense?

Does MS believe in hiring focus testers? Seems they could avoid fusterclucks like W8 if they did.

What makes me nervous on the lack of Start Menu features is that none of these things is hard to code and already exists in numerous other applications. What makes me nervous is TPTB at MS have decided we really don't want or need these things (like they decided no one actually used the Start Button in Windows 7) and will never add them. Maybe they all own shares in Stardock?

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn you all to hell!

I'm sat in the library with the intention of getting a piece of work completed for an impending deadline. Fat chance. Now i'm sat here watching the update download and reading up on it on the forum. Tum tee tum :)

Hope it does it's thing soon. Rather counting on these assignments to get me that Microsoft placement next year! But update update update, it's too exciting. God i'm sad.

mitchellvii

I wonder why the maximized Start Menu is so much more transparent than the minimized one? Wouldn't just the opposite make more sense?

mitchellvii

Did you try to reset to default settings the Notification Are Icons in the Controp Panel ?
Ah there it is. Thanks bro. :)

One thing I really do like about Windows 10 is the improved font rendering. Whatever MS broke in W8 seems to be fixed as fonts in my Metro Apps (like Flipboard) are now ubersmooth.

RémiM

So right now I am using Maple (mathematics software) -- Geany & g++ to code/compile in C++ -- Outlook 2013 + IE11 to check my licences + a second screen + OneDrive, and this build works like a charm. I have 7 windows simultaneously open and everything is smooth, quiet and fast.

The Surface Pro 3 is an absolute treasure. It basically can handle everything. At home or at work. Everyday it impresses me.

mitchellvii

So right now I am using Maple (mathematics software) -- Geany & g++ to code/compile in C++ -- Outlook 2013 + IE11 to check my licences + a second screen + OneDrive, and this build works like a charm. I have 7 windows simultaneously open and everything is smooth, quiet and fast.

The Surface Pro 3 is an absolute treasure. It basically can handle everything. At home or at work. Everyday it impresses me.

Try the new handwriting keyboard. It's pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.