What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

Word is that all of the features W10 is going to have are already baked in. All future builds will be tweaks to improve performance, etc. Visually, at least, W10 is what it will be. Period.

So, as I predicted, MS has decided to forgo a huge opportunity to make the Start Menu really something special. Customizable tile faces? Nope. Cool animations of any kind when clicking a tile? Nope. Any hint that MS actually has a graphics department? Nope.

I hope like hell they are still planning to improve upon the current animated tiles. The current version has half the image covered by a big color bar with only half of that displaying text. In other words, 1/4 of the animated tile isn't animated at all and displays no content.
This saddens me greatly. When the world is getting used to being able to customize their phones and tablets, MS takes computers 500 steps backwards....

cliffr39

No worries. Just hold out upgrading until you see what you want in it. I skipped Office 2010 and Windows 8 for that reason and went to 2013 and 8.1

wynand32

Word is that all of the features W10 is going to have are already baked in. All future builds will be tweaks to improve performance, etc. Visually, at least, W10 is what it will be. Period.

So, as I predicted, MS has decided to forgo a huge opportunity to make the Start Menu really something special. Customizable tile faces? Nope. Cool animations of any kind when clicking a tile? Nope. Any hint that MS actually has a graphics department? Nope.

I hope like hell they are still planning to improve upon the current animated tiles. The current version has half the image covered by a big color bar with only half of that displaying text. In other words, 1/4 of the animated tile isn't animated at all and displays no content.

Well, yah know, Microsoft has been saying for quite some time now that Windows 10 will continue to be updated on an ongoing basis, essentially undoing the past practice of "update Tuesdays" and major version updates and providing incremental updates on an ad hoc basis. Indeed, the "Fast Ring" option (or something like it) will remain to allow those who want updates faster to receive them. That's part of the whole "Windows 10 is the last OS Microsoft will release" mantra--that this OS will be a much more fluid thing that's constantly updated to provide new features and functionality. So, whatever we have on July 29 will most definitely not be the last word on what Windows 10 is going to look like.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Microsoft has also stated that features/functionality are essentially frozen (although there are things they've previously announced and not yet delivered that I'm expecting to see), but that bugs, performance, and interface tweaks are still coming between now and GA. I expect the look and feel to be updated considerably between now and then--there's are still a lot of rough edges that I'm sure Microsoft intends on fixing. I wouldn't be surprised if look/feel settings weren't part of it.

Personally, I like the Start menu, although like many others I wish the transparency were configurable. Live Tile animations and such are cool, and perhaps Microsoft will ad options like that in the future, but for now I'm certainly happy to trade stability and performance for flashiness. Remember that Windows 10 has to run on all sorts of machines, and any flash has a corresponding cost in performance and battery life.

It's been feature complete for weeks, yet the numerous changes we've seen to the Start Screen have still occurred. This is part of polishing and optimizing. Jesus Christ. You've almost made me want to unsubscribe to this thread.

lhauser

So, with a day and half of 10130, I have things I like and things I'm not so sure of.

The SP3 doesn't always come out of sleep consistently. I know, this isn't an uncommon complaint, so if I don't turn off my computer, I make sure I send it to sleep with nothing unsaved.

I have experienced the Explorer crash, pretty consistently. Thanks, Wyand32!

I've experienced some interesting behavior from Chrome. If I'm scrolling with my finger (and probably in tablet mode, though the machine is sometimes inconsistent in asking if I want to enter tablet mode), Chrome will spontaneously minimize itself, leaving me at the desktop. Never crashes, never loses my place, just minimzes.

Scrivener, the writing software I use, crashes when I try to change folders when exporting files. As I write, it occurs to me this may be related to the Explorer crash bug, so I'll have to test that.

I haven't been able to test battery life yet.

The pen works, but it doesn't appear the big button brings up OneNote. I have OneNote 2013 set as default, not the Modern version.

I have a point of curiosity as well. Occasionally when I bring the machine out of sleep (whether it actually works or not), the lock screen shows a tiny knight's head (the chess notation symbol) to the upper right of the clock. Does anyone know what the heck that means? I think I saw it occasionally in Win 8.1 as well, though it may have been only in an earlier version of Win10.

MagicPoop

Okay, just noticed this today...

Right clicking anything in Explorer cause it to freeze and crash, don't know if it's something I did, or just a bug that I didn't notice these past few days... :c

Nope, pretty sure I did something :p

EDIT: restarted and now it's fixed... weird.

Last edited:

EMINENT

Anyone try 10134 and the new dark Edge yet?

Saleh k. Abu Shamala
06/06/2015
Hands-on with Windows 10 Build 10134 – dark Microsoft Edge, and more!

Hands-on with Windows 10 Build 10134 – dark Microsoft Edge, and more!

Ahead of the public release on July 29, Microsoft has been releasing new Windows 10 builds pretty quickly for the last few weeks. The company recently released Build 10130 to Windows Insiders. However, Microsoft Partners reportedly received Build 10134, and 10135 recently. Just yesterday, Build 10134 leaked with a couple of new things and some tweaks throughout the operating system. So what’s new? Let’s dive right in. Microsoft Edge gets a dark theme

darkspartan.png
With Windows 10, Microsoft wants to offer more personalization features. There are a couple of new customization features already available on Windows 10, and there are some hidden ones – such as the ability to enable a dark theme for the OS. Enabling the dark theme via Registry Editor enables a dark theme for most elements of the OS, such as the Clock dialog, Settings app, etc. Unfortunately though, not all of the applications have a dark theme yet – at least on the latest, official Windows 10 Build.
Now, Microsoft has added a dark theme for Microsoft Edge on Build 10134, which you can enable using a registry hack (thanks, @gus33000 for the tip). If you want to enable Microsoft Edge’s dark theme on Build 10134, just follow the steps below:
  • Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
  • Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize
  • Create a new DWORD value and name it “AppsUseLightTheme”
  • Set the value of the DWORD value to “0”
  • Restart File Explorer, and you should now have the dark theme.

As expected, the dark theme isn’t complete yet and there are rough edges throughout the browser. Nonetheless, the dark theme for Microsoft Edge is there and getting ready for prime time. Snipping Tool picks up an update

Microsoft has updated the Snipping Tool on Build 10134. Yes, the Snipping Tool has indeed been updated on the build, and it packs a much-needed feature. On Build 10134, users can delay the snipping tool which is indeed a really nice addition. Take a look at the screenshots below to see what else is new on Snipping tool:

Status
Not open for further replies.