What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

The SP3 boots so fast (though not quite as fast as under 8.1) I turn mine off when I'm not plugged in and not using it for a few hours.

Sure, but I hibernate to return where I was and not have to re-open everything. I tend to work on a number of things at a time.

Kris

I reinstalled Windows 8 and then upgraded to 10, after doing this I noticed a chunk of my small hard drive space was missing. I believe it is a recovery partition for Windows 8. If this is true is there a way to remove it and add it back to my main partition? Here is a screenshot of my hard drive and it's partitions, the circled one I believe is the Windows 8 recovery partition.

Attachments

• hard drive.JPG
    hard drive.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 373

malberttoo

I reinstalled Windows 8 and then upgraded to 10, after doing this I noticed a chunk of my small hard drive space was missing. I believe it is a recovery partition for Windows 8. If this is true is there a way to remove it and add it back to my main partition? Here is a screenshot of my hard drive and it's partitions, the circled one I believe is the Windows 8 recovery partition.

Kris, you can reclaim the space as part of the procedure for creating a USB recovery drive. After the drive is made, you'll be asked if you want to delete the partition and reclaim the space...

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage-files-and-folders/create-a-recovery-drive

Kris

ok got the space back but instead of adding it to my current drive it just made a partitioned drive with the 5.57GB is there any way to get this added to my main hard drive?

Kris

What does disk management now show it as?
New Volume (D: ), 5.57GB NTFS, Healthy (Primary Partition)
I have tried deleting the partition and then extending my C: drive but the option is greyed out, same if I don't delete it. I have tried using IM-Magic Partition but niether will allow me to add the space to the C: drive. I even turned bit locker off to use IM-Magic Partition.

It never gave me a choice to add the partition to my C: drive when going through the recovery steps.

Edit: Got it fixed, had to use aomei partition assistant to do it but now I have my space back. Thanks for the help. I know 6 GB doesn't seem like a lot but when you only have 59(64)GB to start with every bit matters.

Last edited:

vxm

Hey!

Overall, using build 162, I don't experience any major problems, but there are some quirks that I still don't like/that didn't change since Windows 8.1:

1. Music still stops when screen goes off on SP3. Double checked power options, set sleep to "never" to test. I can listen to Spotify on my phone when screen turns off, it's too much for Desktop system. On phone I have Insider preview too, and seeing as those systems really behave alike and share features and options I can't understand it. I was hoping they would do something about it in new Windows.

2. Will there be new on-screen keyboard for Windows 10? WP10's new keyboard rocks, meanwhile Desktop variant had few tweaks but still looks like simple exercise in coding- maybe some transparency at least to match theme settings or tint of color here and there? Ergonomics is ok, but IMO looks leave lot to be desired seeing as rest of system components look.

3. I'd love to see option to adjust start screen size for Tablet mode- I got some essential things pinned there and they look really small when you decide to switch to Tablet. It is not strictly matter of me having trouble with finding or tapping something... Start screen looks really empty as of now, I liked bigger tiles from Win8.1 better

4. Notification icon is white, meaning there's something there to check, most of times it's empty...

What do you think? Can you relate? Maybe for some, like number 1. there are some fixes I am not aware of?

bender

If I put my SP3 in sleep via button, and I'll wake it up after few hours, no passwords is needed. Bug or wrong settings? In account settings it says password required after 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.