What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruinah

Need some help. When I dock the SP3 it docks as portrait. My external monitor is landscape and fine but the sp3 remains portrait.

The second thing I can't figure out - when I click to change apps or Alt-Tab the window sort of shrinks by maybe 15% for a second then switches the app and maximizes. It's driving me insane. This is any time I switch apps when docked. Is there some sort of window transition setting I can turn off? I am running build 10166. This weird transition makes me want o switch back to 8.1 and not upgrade.

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently when docked the SP3 is screen 1. It was set to not be "locked." I set it to lock and made it landscape and that not only make the screen look right but it also fixed the weird rotation issue. Must have been a rotation issue causing it. I will do some more testing.

Tallrandal

Good Day everyone,

Now that you have had some time to look over 1066, have you been willing to put it on your daily machine? I have found a few minor problems, but I think its due to me always upgrading the OS vs doing a clean install. I think this machine has been on windows 10 since the day it came out. I am about to do a clean install an look it over. However, in the mean time I am really itching to put it on my main machine, but not sure yet. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Randy

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good Day everyone,

Now that you have had some time to look over 1066, have you been willing to put it on your daily machine? I have found a few minor problems, but I think its due to me always upgrading the OS vs doing a clean install. I think this machine has been on windows 10 since the day it came out. I am about to do a clean install an look it over. However, in the mean time I am really itching to put it on my main machine, but not sure yet. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Randy

I've had windows 10 on my main machine (SP3) since the preview launched. Sure there have been niggles but never anything to stop my machine doing just as I need it. In fact the only machine i don't have 10 on is my HTPC and that's purely because it lives in a location sans internet and I never remember to get a usb stick ready with an ISO when i'm in London and have access to it.

For the record, I've done a whole combination of clean installs or updates and neither method has ever proven more or less stable a method, it seems that issues are just a crap-shoot regardless of how you installed.

wynand32

I'm with you, @hughlle: all of my Windows machines have been on Windows 10 from the outset. That includes my desktop, my SP3, and my Dell Venue 8 Pro. Only the Dell has ever been in a state that wasn't usable; the desktop has been fairly rock-solid from the outset with only minor issues, and the SP3 has been--well, we all know how that's been. Speaking on the SP3, I've never been stopped from doing my work, I've just had to adjust, such as hibernating because sleep doesn't work and living with reduced battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tallrandal

Thanks for the input Hughlle.

I must say on all the OS installs I have done on my beta tester, I do find the clean installs can help clear things up. Even if it doesnt really fix the problem it makes me feel better knowing the system is fresh and no additional crap is clogging the system. :p

Tallrandal

I'm with you, @hughile: all of my Windows machines have been on Windows 10 from the outset. That includes my desktop, my SP3, and my Dell Venue 8 Pro. Only the Dell has ever been in a state that wasn't usable; the desktop has been fairly rock-solid from the outset with only minor issues, and the SP3 has been--well, we all know how that's been. Speaking on the SP3, I've never been stopped from doing my work, I've just had to adjust, such as hibernating because sleep doesn't work and living with reduced battery life.

Oh I completely agree that the system has been completely usable. Especially since it is a preview. I also dont mind changing my daily procedure due to a minor glitch, however, there are somethings that I absolutely need to work on my daily machine in order to get my work done. I guess there will only be one way to tell if 10 is going to work for me. :p

wynand32

Anyone experiencing a problem whereby if duplicating to a second display, full screen internet video playback via Edge/IE on many many sites (e.g bbc news) is utterly unplayable on the second display. Works just fine under chrome

I haven't tried it with IE, but I'm having that issue on Edge. Start a video (e.g., Amazon Video) in a tab on one monitor, drag that tab to the other monitor, and the tab dies--video doesn't play, controls go away, can't do anything with the tab except close it.

wynand32

Which reminds me: any of you WordPress users out there, I'd be suspicious of Edge when drafting/editing posts. I was working on a 2,000 word post yesterday and things got wonky in a way that's never happened in IE or Chrome. I didn't lose the post, but all of the formatting disappeared and I had a jumbled mess to sort through.

I'm still of the opinion that Edge isn't nearly ready for prime-time, to the point where unless they make some dramatic fixes by 7/29, if I were Microsoft I wouldn't set it as the default browser.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't tried it with IE, but I'm having that issue on Edge. Start a video (e.g., Amazon Video) in a tab on one monitor, drag that tab to the other monitor, and the tab dies--video doesn't play, controls go away, can't do anything with the tab except close it.

I'm running with duplicated displays. The video will play just fine on the surface display in full screen, but on the TV it either severly stutters, e.g 1 frame every 5 second, or it just locks up and doesn't play despite it displaying just fine on the surface at the same time. Have sent feedback to MS, shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I have chrome, so can bypass that if needed, but the biggest issue i've had with Edge do far is i might be writing this forum post, and the browser just closes. No error messages, just closes and bye bye post. It's also a laggy POS compared to chrome. changing tabs using shift+tab is just a waste of my time. As you say, definately not ready for prime time yet.

The problem with not setting it as the default browser should it not be ready is that people will get "invested" into whatever they use instead. It is so simple and petty, but simply saving passwords, form info etc, that was one of the main reasons i didn't use edge up to this point. Why bother having to google all my frequently used sites, enter all my info into fields again when i could just open chrome/IE and it was all already there saved and ready to go. I think average joe would just use IE and sick with it even after Edge was then released. I think i probably would.

I am SO glad they moved away from IE's abomonation of a history viewer though. Whoever designed that one should be publicly shamed.

wynand32

Oh I completely agree that the system has been completely usable. Especially since it is a preview. I also dont mind changing my daily procedure due to a minor glitch, however, there are somethings that I absolutely need to work on my daily machine in order to get my work done. I guess there will only be one way to tell if 10 is going to work for me. :p

I should add that I have at least one other machine, a MacBook Air, that has stood by in case my Windows 10 machines crapped out. And I've been insanely paranoid about keeping things backed up in case something like OneDrive decided to go crazy on me. So I don't mean to sound cavalier about the whole process.

Status
Not open for further replies.