Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well hello, there, Start Screen under Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926:

So I went poking around and changed something in the registry to get the Windows 8.1 Start Screen at will. Added the option to the Taskbar Properties. Played around awhile, and now set it back.

Adjusted color away from that 1980's Blue, after returning.

Not for the fainthearted:
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software|Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\EnableStartMenu
Set to 1. Normally 0.
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software|Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\EnableXamlStartMenu
Set to 0. Normally 1. (If you don't have this DWORD, create it).

Makes this option visible.
Screenshot (58).png

Taskbar still visible.
Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (53).png

Taskbar still visible.
Screenshot (57).png

Screenshot (60).png

Screenshot (59).png

Option reset. Here's my registry.
Screenshot (65).png

Screenshot (61).png

I like these colors better. Today.
Screenshot (63).png

^^I just tried the regedit hack and I did not get that option to show up in the Taskbar settings window... do I need to adjust anything else? I'd love to get the start menu back

mitchellvii

One odd thing. When I first started running the new W10 build with the Intel Drivers this rig ran cool and silent. But lately, despite no updates other than Defender, the fan runs almost constantly and the back gets very hot despite the fact CPU usage is under 50%.

Can't figure it out. What changed? Right now the fan is blowing full blast and I could fry an egg on the back but the CPU is only at 23%? Also noticed this lags badly playing a simple game like Candy Crush. I mean BADLY, like 5 FPS badly.

bamaster

I've had W10 running on my SP2 since it was available and it runs pretty well.

But I tried to do it on my SP3 and I got display flickering, mouse freezes, dead keyboard... basically forced me to do a complete format and reinstall of W8.1. Ugh. My SP3 ain't touching this release.

I've found a slightly annoying little problem-ette; In 8.1 my Onenote library gave the option to view each folder online/offline in Explorer. This option is not apparent in 10 - which has necessitated downloading the entire Onenote structure to my local drive.

mitchellvii

I've had W10 running on my SP2 since it was available and it runs pretty well.

But I tried to do it on my SP3 and I got display flickering, mouse freezes, dead keyboard... basically forced me to do a complete format and reinstall of W8.1. Ugh. My SP3 ain't touching this release.

8.1 does run exceptionally well on the SP3. I think 90% of the problem here has to do with broken video drivers. How MS can release their flagship OS on their flagship device with broken drivers that blow the entire experience is beyond me.

As is typical, MS gets the hard stuff right and totally whiffs on the basics.

mitchellvii

Maybe it's just me, but this build seems to be getting slower, hotter and noisier by the hour. No idea why it would be getting progressively worse. It feels like I'm walking in molasses everything I do.

Even my phone plays Candy Crush lag free. This i5 plays it at abut 5 fps. This ain't Modern Warfare 2020, it's a simple matching game. Feeling confused.

rkz

Maybe it's just me, but this build seems to be getting slower, hotter and noisier by the hour. No idea why it would be getting progressively worse. It feels like I'm walking in molasses everything I do.

I had a problem with host sync munching processes so I deactivated all syncing and cleaned out the folder. So at so good. Otherwise I have not seenfsomething else slow

mitchellvii

I had a problem with host sync munching processes so I deactivated all syncing and cleaned out the folder. So at so good. Otherwise I have not seenfsomething else slow

Will try that. How do I clean out the folder?

For instance, right now. Just rebooted 3 minutes ago. CPU running at 6% and fan is blowing like an F15 with afterburners on even though I had a clean desktop. Back is hot to the touch. When I first installed this preview it ran silent and cool to the touch.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Ugh. Now when I click on "Settings" I get an error message, "Element Not Found". Seriously, WTF? It's like this build is self destructing before my eyes.

Reflashed the Intel Drivers and now Settings works again. Crazy.

** UPDATE: Went in and checked my Power Settings. Saw it was set to "Performance" by default. Checked it back to "Balanced" and the fan immediately went silent. I guess maybe that was the issue?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.