What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

Just can't believe that the browsing experience is so flaky, trying so hard to use IE.
At the moment the ten experience isn't great.
1) Flaky IE browsing with some basic sites ramping the fan up
2) unable to open PDF mags in the Microsoft reader, which worked fine in 8.1
3) one note no longer has the applet for adjusting the pen thickness.

Yes I know its early day
Try Firefox 35. Runs fast and quiet. IE is a mess. Download Adobe Reader (non MUI) from Adobe and that should work for you.

mitchellvii

General W10 observations and things I like:

1) Cleartype definitely better - HUGE WIN HERE.
2) Seems like read/write to the SSD is faster. For instance when I compact my Access database it seems quicker.
3) Headed in right direction on Start Menu although has a ways to go. Make it transparent. Allow me to drag apps from list on left to tiles. Allow me to turn off animations. Make click and dragging tiles less twitchy. Allow me to select multiple tiles. Allow me to edit tile text. Provide templates that will autogroup tiles by app type (nice starting spot). Give me a bigger button for viewing all apps - that thing is tiny and I often have to click it multiple times for it to work (actually just hovering over it to activate would be nice).
4) Really like the borderless windows with shadow effect. Classy which means MS will probably ditch it (hehe).
5) Tiles are cool but boring. Instead of have just a little app icon in the middle of a big tile, have the icon fill the whole tile bleeding off the edges as in Android icons. Add a little sweepaway animation to tiles when I click one as on Windows Phone (always thought that was cool).
6) System feels quick overall but not really noticeably quicker than 8.1.
7) Like the clean overall look and feel. Window animations could be more interesting. Zoom in or something, or at least options for that.
8) Love the multidesk and window snapping. Super cool and handy.
9) Add jump lists to Start Tiles. This would be HUGE. Maybe activate them just by hovering over a tile since right click is already being used. If my Start Tiles had jump lists I'd barely even use the Taskbar.
10) Although HD Control Center has been excluded the built-in gamma settings found in Display work quite well and look great dialed all the way down.
11) IE is a mess. Same with Chrome. Surprisingly Firefox is the most stable (and fan free).
12) The new windows have a burger button at top left with options but I think they should also add just one button which activates the pop up options for the app. Average non tech users will be confused by the double step to get those.

The biggest problem M$ has is that they think like engineers. This stuff all seems intuitive to them because they wrote it, but to the average Joe seeing it for the first time, it's not intuitive at all. Here's a basic rule of thumb. If anything takes more than one step to accomplish you will immediately lose 1/2 your audience. Make it OBVIOUS. Why do you think people love Apple? Because any idiot can make it work.

P.S., I'm obviously goofing off and not working today which is why I have time to write stuff like this. :) I've been an IT Consulting Headhunter for 30 years and sometimes by Friday I get sick of the sound of my own voice on the phone.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

3) one note no longer has the applet for adjusting the pen thickness.

Download "Surface Hub" from the Store. In there you can adjust pen sensitivity so that your writing in OneNote MUI isn't ultra fine point. Also, OneNote 2013 is now free from MS so you can just grab that and it has all the pen settings. Just make sure to select it as your default OneNote app when prompted at install.

http://www.onenote.com/

m0v1em4n

Hi mitchellvii,

set the onenote as default but it does load that version when I click the pen top, know other have had this issue, but can't remember how they solved it

mitchellvii

Hi mitchellvii,

set the onenote as default but it does load that version when I click the pen top, know other have had this issue, but can't remember how they solved it

Sadly this is an issue which cannot be solved at this build level. You'll just have to manually open OneNote 2013. That's Betaville. :)

mitchellvii

Hi guys first post, how come I can only launch IE via administrator and I'm having problems with chrome and text input?

Chrome and IE are dicey with this build. For the meantime I recommend Firefox 35. If you are having issues launching IE go into Internet Settings in Control Panel and Reset under Advanced. That should fix it.

Justin Priddy

Ok not tried fire fox but will give it a go.
The display drivers have made a big difference to me, up until yesterday I could not play any media in apps.

I5 256
nope, no hardware update, checked 2 seconds ago. I am seeing the 9934 now.

I'm running the same model, and the system update installed. Finally think I figured out what the system update did. Under batter saver settings it has usage information. Before it listed the percentage the Display and System power used of the battery. Now it also includes WiFi.

Status
Not open for further replies.