What's new

Windows 8.1 will include boot to desktop option to bypass 'Metro' interface

Sin

Russ, thanks for the point of view. I know this topic has a tendency to get heated, which I do not want nor do I understand. Personally I currently seem to align with Microsoft's direction, but that can just as easily not be the case. One thing that I have always given Microsoft credit for was a highly customizable system. Even when Microsoft doesn't want to make something, the way that the OS is designed typically allows for creative developers to step in and fill the void. I have no issues with peoples preferences, I actually enjoy find difference. It's how I have discovered some on my best practices. The people that really get to me are the ones that refuse to even look at a third-party application, because they feel Microsoft should have included the capability. Microsoft is changing things and looking to find a better way. It's what they should be doing or we might as well just never upgrade. Thank again for you point of view on the issue. It's much appreciated.

Russ

I know this topic has a tendency to get heated, which I do not want nor do I understand. . . . Even when Microsoft doesn't want to make something, the way that the OS is designed typically allows for creative developers to step in and fill the void. . . . The people that really get to me are the ones that refuse to even look at a third-party application, because they feel Microsoft should have included the capability.

Sin --

I have oscillated between being amused and being downright mesmerized at the amount of vitriol this thread has generated. I have used every OS since CP/M and AppleDOS, having hit every step along the way, and now I am "resistant to change." Well, that is interesting, at least, if not fascinating.

What some have forgotten, or never knew, given their ages, is that Microsoft was always a proponent of open systems. What some have forgotten, or never knew, given their ages, is that it was Bill Gates who removed the copy-protection from Excel, because he believed it was the right thing to do and that Microsoft would gain more business as a result. If anyone doesn't think he was right, just open your current copy of Lotus 1-2-3. As to Microsoft being "protective," a lot of that comes from MS's refusal to allow access to the kernel of its OS by Norton and others. That has always seemed like a wise decision to me.

If that's too difficult, then remember that when Gates split with IBM, he relinquished OS/2, on which they had expended considerable development resources, in favor of keeping his right to develop Windows. If that's too confusing, just boot to your current copy of OS/2.

Much of the current angst derives from what J5150P described in another thread as the addiction to "instant gratification." I am hugely disappointed that Microsoft has not arranged to have someone mow my lawn, but, I guess, I will just have to live with that.

Take care,
Russ

ArnoldC

<snip> I have used every OS since CP/M and AppleDOS, having hit every step along the way, and now I am "resistant to change." Well, that is interesting, at least, if not fascinating.
<snip>

Russ, just out of curiousity did you use Oasis, Thoroughbred, and/or CTOS?

Russ

Russ, just out of curiousity did you use Oasis, Thoroughbred, and/or CTOS?

Arnold --

Not in any meaningful way. I played with everything I could get my hands on and that would run on whatever board I had cobbled together at the time, but I was always a hobbyist. I just always liked to try new stuff, even if I had no particular purpose for it.

Regards,
Russ