What's new

4k and life span

halon

I'm thinking of getting the SP3. Has anyone used it connected to a 4k TV and streamed Netflix? Also. My laptop lasted almost 5 years, I wouldn't expect Surface to last this long. But is it something I would HAVE to replace after a year?

ipaq_101

Are you serious? People are going to spend $1000 to $1500 for a one year purchase?

I think you could use this easily for more than a few years if you keep it in good shape.

It all depends on technology and how long you hang on to it before you upgrade.

wynand32

I can't speak to the 4K TV question, because I don't have a 4K TV. Darnit.

But, I'm curious: why would you think you'd have to replace the SP3 after a year? I mean, it's not engineered to disintegrate after 12 months, or anything. :)

Seriously, I don't see the SP3 as being any different from any other machine. In fact, given its versatility and the industry's transition to touch-centric platforms, I'd say the SP3 has far MORE longevity than your typical notebook. And, it's built to last as far as I can tell.

OP
H

halon

I was just thinking the amount of heat generated internally would be too great for the fan over time as compared to a what has been considered a normal laptop. Sorry, I'm a Surface newb.

malberttoo

The SP3 is designed like any other laptop. It definitely may get warm under a heavy workload, but that doesn't take years off of its life. If you take care of it, no reason at all that you couldn't get at least 4 or 5 years out of it. And even then, if it was running well, the only reason you'd upgrade would be because you wanted something more modern.

I have a few folks in my company that routinely make their laptops last 5 - 7 years. Even the laptop that I had before the SP3, a 12" with a 1st gen i7, is 4 years old now but still works perfectly. In fact I had to do some major begging to be able to buy the SP3, because my 12" laptop is still perfectly fine.

That being said, if you do get an SP3, then you'll definitely want to spring for the $149 Microsoft Complete warranty.

ipaq_101

My POS dell xps m1530 burns your lap if you keep it on there long enough, bought it in 2007 and still works great. Now it's my desktop replacement at my desk.

kodos

That's actually one bonus for "lapability"! No scorched laps with a Surface, since the heat is away from your lap :)

malberttoo

My POS dell xps m1530 burns your lap if you keep it on there long enough, bought it in 2007 and still works great. Now it's my desktop replacement at my desk.

Ha ha, if you didn't already know... that's why the manufacturers had to stop calling them "laptops" and switch to "notebooks", when procs got to the point that they got that hot under a workload. Liability and all that, couldn't be responsible for the burns on people's legs... :cool:

wynand32

That's one of the nicest things about the SP3 (and a lot of other hybrids, to be fair): the hot parts are well away from one's lap.

In regards to the 4K TV, it should have it's own app section and you can log in from there into your netflix account instead of streaming from your SP3. If for some reason your 4K TV doesn't have an app store do you have a blu-ray player that does? Or you can get a chromecast or roku that will do it for around $99 I believe. Just trying to think of an alternative other than SP3 as that will probably heat it up a bit and eat the battery.

glr

LOL...I am typing my response on a m1530, circa February 2008. I can't wait for my I7 to replace this 6+ year machine on 8/1/14.

ipaq_101

LOL...I am typing my response on a m1530, circa February 2008. I can't wait for my I7 to replace this 6+ year machine on 8/1/14.

It's a workhorse for sure, call it what you want, a laptop or a notebook, but at the end of the day the dell xps m1530 has had a heat problem like no other notebook I have ever used.

I have a Dell XPS 15z and you can put it on your lap without a problem.