What's new

can this be done

Aaleo75

I have a portable 4 USB cord and id like to plug that in plug in my external hard drive and plug in my Xbox one remote to play a few games offline. I don't know if u can even keep the gamer on the external and I don't know if the remote will work I had researched and it said that you need a driver 32bit or 64bit and I have the 64 version but after downloading an app that was supposed to have my Xbox one remote work it didn't either directly into my surface 3 or into the 4 port one so I'm at a loss and don't know what to do or can do.if someone has some answers that would be amazing

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Aaleo75 said:
... if someone has some answers that would be amazing.

It would be amazing enough if someone could understand the question. o_O

How about restating / explaining what 4 USB is / maybe post pics. We would like to help.

mcsenerd

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that what you're asking is about using a 4-Port USB hub with both an external hard drive and the Xbox controller simultaneously. I will start by saying that I do not own an Xbox One nor do I own any Xbox controller to use with a PC. However, that being said, I'd start with saying that I would highly doubt that the hard drive and the controller would work straight off of the power supplied by the SP3 USB port. You would most likely need to power the hard drive with either a built-in AC adapter or by using a Y-Cable and a USB wall charger or the like. As far as running a game from a USB hard drive directly, I'm sure it would be possible, but I don't know if I'd advise it if you're looking for maximum disk performance. Plus, I'm not certain as to the port speed of the controller that you're using, but if it's USB 2.0 then you would likely also slow down the operation of the external hard drive by having those two devices share the same bus.

OP
A

Aaleo75

I don't know what its called but its probably a USB hub I'm not computer savvy to say the least but its a USB that connects to the single USB on my surface 3 and I can add a additional 4 USB ports to the single one so id like to know if I can plug that in and out of the 4 add my external hard drive and Xbox one remote leaving 2 open USB's and play whatever game that I choose

mcsenerd

Like I said, you should certainly be able to do so, but you'll need to pay close attention to the power draw because the SP3 does not supply a lot of power to the USB port.

OP
A

Aaleo75

Thank you mcsnerd do u think my best bet is to just download the game to my actual SP3 and just use the remote plugged into my SP3 alone without using the " 4 port USB hub"

kozak79

You can get a 64gb or even a 128gb Micros SD card on amazon and put your games on that. Plug your XBOX CONTROLLER into the USB port on the SP3.

Geneo

Why is your Surface involved? Isn't there a USB port on the Xbox? Can't you plug your hub into that?

OP
A

Aaleo75

I work for months away from home and don't bring an Xbox or TVs or anything like that. After reading that you can use an Xbox remote to play on the surface I really wanted to try it. Anyway was just thinking if I can digitally download it right to my external to save space on my surface.

kundas1

Aaleo yes you can plug a 4 port hub but use a 3.0 POWERED hub, also the xbox controller should work right out of the box, I know on my RT the xbox ctlr worked without installing any drivers and now I use a Logitech wireless ctlr to play games on my Nintendo emu.