Defect on my new SP3

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by Franseg, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Franseg

Franseg New Member

I found this defect on my brand new sp3 (bought today). It's minimal, but it's present, and I'm worried it can worsen.
    Do you think I should ask for a replacement unit?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Active Member

Mine does that too, and I think a lot of SP3s have that issue as well. If youre bothered with that, you can always ask for a replacement.

But if I were you, I would just pretend it didn't exist

3. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

See how it goes, if there are no other problems Id knock wood and see if a dab of glue would resolve the slight separation of the antenna compartment cover.

4. RémiM

RémiM Active Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    well I agree with @ptrkhh , a lot of the SP3 are like that. Just keep an eye on it, but I don't think it'll get worst.

5. abc

abc Member

Mine is not that way. I would return it immediately.

VickiFL likes this.
  6. r0b123

r0b123 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    That little separation could get worse depending on how your handling it in the long run. Do you plan on using a case/cover? If you're using it bare/naked, I would consider returning it. Otherwise it won't functionality but its your call and if you're nearby a store where your purchased it. There are many posts including the accessories section regarding cases/covers which would help so that little defect is not noticeable and doesn't gets worse.

7. Ragingaardvark

Ragingaardvark Member

Personally, I wouldn't accept that. You wouldn't keep a car with a door that wouldn't close would you.

8. kevinlevrone

kevinlevrone Active Member

What is the defect, exactly ? I don't see any defect. You mean the slightly misaligned joined areas ? That's perfectly normal.

9. Ragingaardvark

Ragingaardvark Member

Eh?! How can a misaligned join be "normal"(tm). That must make my Surface abnormal - as the joins are all flush.

10. markusbeutel

markusbeutel Member

It's normal... but it shouldn't be on a $1000+ machine. That should be lined up perfectly - you can already see in OP's pics how there's a slight chip in the plastic which wouldn't have occurred if it was flush. If you have a MS store near you OP, return it - you'll get a new SP3 on site - I returned one for similar reasons (the casing/glass was uneven all the way around the Surface, recessed at some points, glass overlapping at others). Process takes a couple minutes and you're out the door with a new SP3 - best to check the new one in store though and make sure it's free of issues.

If you can't get to a MS store though, not sure it's worth the hassle of an exchange...

11. JackieInCo

JackieInCo Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Yes, I would return it. I don't have this defect on my SP3. If it did, I would have returned it already.

12. Kif

Kif Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    My is like that and it hasn't been an issue. I don't travel with it much so I'm not sure if wear and tear would make a difference. It's also a tough call if you want to start playing the exchange game. Despite what people say $1000 devices are not all identical and some defects are worst than others. I would be embrassed to tell you the number of iPads I've been through in my life.