What's new

Do any mac users struggle with the trackpad on the surface?

macmee

I'm sure I faced this problem when I went from Windows to OS X some years ago, but now I'm having this problem going from OS X to my SP3.

I'm so used to how my trackpad behaves in OS X, and when I try to use the trackpad on the SP3 it just seems awful. I don't know if it's a mouse acceleration thing or if the trackpad is just worse than on my rMBP.

S'anyone else having a similar problem? Wouldn't it be great if we could make the cursor behave the same everywhere?

CDG

I am not sure the SP3 and the S3 have the same trackpad, but it did take me a couple days to get used to my S3 trackpad after using MBP for a good 4 years. Now I prefer the trackpad on my Surface, the one my MacBook feels too slippery comparatively, and I either make mistake or position my cursor all wrong.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
To take it up a level, wouldn't it be great if the OS behaved the same everywhere.
Thought Linux was going to do that... now there's 57 varieties of Linux, or 157 varieties...
Practically speaking, it will never happen because someone will always think they did it better.

Lets see... if Microsoft's trackpad did work just like Apple's ... Apple would sue them until the moon escapes the earth's gravitational pull.

Nevah gonna happen.

Reactions: CDG
OP
macmee

macmee

To take it up a level, wouldn't it be great if the OS behaved the same everywhere.
Thought Linux was going to do that... now there's 57 varieties of Linux, or 157 varieties...
Practically speaking, it will never happen because someone will always think they did it better.

Lets see... if Microsoft's trackpad did work just like Apple's ... Apple would sue them until the moon escapes the earth's gravitational pull.

Nevah gonna happen.

Actually a lot of NodeJS and Ruby development works perfectly on OS X because even though you'd deploy your stuff to something running something like CentOS or Ubuntu, OS X is unix like so you don't run into problems. In contrast, it would be a christmas miracle if I could bundle install or npm install on Windows and have everything just work in that same way.

That's actually been one of the more disappointing things about my SP3 for me. Whenever I want to do any web or server development I normally have to SSH into something or use Vagrant because Windows is such a weird environment compared to everything else that nothing really plays nicely with it.

Don't get me wrong it's much easier for me to work with node or ruby on my SP3 than it would be an iPad, but it still doesn't come close to what for some reason works just fine on OS X.