What's new

Duplicate screen on Monitor 2560x1440

Gerard

I'm thinking about picking up this monitor Acer K272HUL but not sure if the SP3 will let me work on duplicate screen with the Surface on full res (2160x1440).
Does anyone know if the SP3 can support that?
Sorry for my newbie english.

Tsurugaya

I use two external WQHD monitors through mDP on docking station and tablet without any problems. Even have a third HD monitor connected with a USB adapter.

surfdock

Gerard,

On any Windows PC when you use the duplicate monitor mode, Windows chooses a lowest common denominator screen resolution such that both screen have the same resolution. In your case the Surface screen is 3:2 aspect ratio 2160x1440 while the desktop screen is 16:9 aspect ratio 2560x1440. Most likely, the common denominator screen resolution will be something like 1920x1080. Yeah not so great. I don't have this config myself to try to confirm.

With the custom Intel drivers (see guide here) , you may be able to set some custom resolution on the two screens to make it look a little better.

IMHO, duplicate mode is only good for hooking up to a big screen TV or a projector. For desktop monitors you're far better off just disabling the laptop screen or using Extended desktop mode so you can drag windows from the laptop screen to the desktop screen. Hit the key combination Winkey+P to bring up the screen projection menu and try all the options to see which one you like