What's new

Fresh Windows Install Without Hard Reset

mseck99

all,

Is it possible to install a fresh version of windows 8.1 without having to do a hard reset on the surface Pro3? this is an attempt to maybe save files on a Crashed device.

the device won't pass the "trying to repair automatically". Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Nuspieds

But you can't boot at all (natively from the hard disk), meaning that you can't even get the option of using the built-in Windows Refresh to even attempt a full restore...so, does this mean you never bothered to create a Recovery USB, that's why you are unable to try that method to boot?

OP
M

mseck99

I have a recovery thumb drive from my other surface pro 3. I would have expect the ms tech guys to try that

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
After an Hard reset, can the Data recovery tool access the registry and find the deleted files?
I think reset wipes files... refresh doesn't. and if you install after a reset you will write over what was there.

What happened when you boot to a USB or can you not do that?
You might need a bootable USB with an actual data recovery program. although I'm guessing you have to turn off secure boot. hopefully you didn't have drive encryption turned on.

But, first things first. Can you Boot to USB yes/no?

OP
M

mseck99

I was able to take the defective defective device home for troubleshooting(Had to leave my Other pro3 as collateral). I am able to boot VIA USB (Linux Ubuntu)

I also gotten the following error:
\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd error