What's new

Gaming on a SP3

Kif

Has anyone tried gaming on their SP3? I'm thinking about trying FTL or Paper Please since they don't have high end graphics requirements. Any games partially well suited for the touch screen?

daniielrp

Has anyone tried gaming on their SP3? I'm thinking about trying FTL or Paper Please since they don't have high end graphics requirements. Any games partially well suited for the touch screen?

I'd like to play Papers Please on the SP3 but would mean carrying my gaming mouse around with me :p

mennogreg

I don't play the newest games, and the games that I do that are graphic intensive run just find with reasonable settings. Here's a snapshot of some of the games I have on my SP3:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 598

macmee

I don't play games. I downloaded Braid for it though. GestureWorks wasn't detecting my taps, and it scared me how hot my device became, so I haven't tried it since.

LoLiMo

I have Dues Ex Human Revolution (1080), Portal 2 and Half Life 2 (1080), Diablo 3, Quake Live, Max Payne 3. Mostly Steam games and Battle.net. They all run great, (having problems with Diablo currently but that's a different story:). Happy gaming!

Cothek

I play ftl all the time and it runs perfectly. I also play more graphically intense games, Skyrim, Mount & Blade which I use this for. You can even run Genymotion at a lower rest (say nexus 5) and do some android gaming.

Chuck_IV

I've run Star Wars: The Old Republic on it. Once I found the sweet spot for the graphic settings and interface size, it has been pretty good.

**EDIT**

Guess I should mention I have the i5 128mb version

Last edited:
OP
Kif

Kif

I don't play the newest games, and the games that I do that are graphic intensive run just find with reasonable settings. Here's a snapshot of some of the games I have on my SP3:

Nice selection. Do I see SpyCraft that was released from Activision (or Sierra Online) about a million years ago?

mennogreg

Nice selection. Do I see SpyCraft that was released from Activision (or Sierra Online) about a million years ago?

Oof! You got me there.

With the exception of Metro 2033, Medieval 2 Total War, X-Com, Dragon Age and Outlast, most of those games shown there are installed on my 128GB microSD SanDisk card and run off of there. As for the more graphically-intensive games, like the five listed above, I can usually set a screen resolution of 1440x900 at mid to low settings and get very playable framerates.

As for touch controls for games, the options are limited. Aside from Windows Store games, X-Com: Enemy Within and Civilization V offer native touchscreen support, there's also the Talisman (board) game that has it. Its a little irritating when a game released on iOS, like FTL, doesn't have touch controls on its Windows version. There are some workarounds. GestureWorks Gameplay, available on Steam, allows you to configure your screen to gamepad touch controls; Touch mousepointer allows your finger to move the mouse pointer like a touchpad, but its not ideal for fast paced games. And though I haven't tried it, there are some games where the stylus can be used in lieu of a mouse, but only when the game is in a window and not fullscreen.

HolF

Well, I also was thinking about playing on my surface. But then I decided to keep playing games on my desktop computer as before. For me there is one very big reason: Heating up the surface. Over the years with ususal computers, I found out that the "creme" (sorry, I´m german) between CPU and cooler ages in time and is no longer working good. This happens sooner, the more the device is used in high load. This leads to a lot of fan activity which leads to fan dying earlier (Lagerschäden, in german). Which will finally lead to a loud surface with fan almost running every time.
So I think its not wise to play on a surface. Yes, its possible but its not wise. Games needs to much calculating power and produces to much heat. At least for me.