What's new

Hardware and Marketing - Why I Came Back to Windows

fletch33

so way back when Apple left that awful proprietary PPC platform to Intel i jumped right on OSX and besides a rarely used Bootcamp installation of XP then W7 for the occasional development software only on Windows i never looked back.

then comes the Surface and i looked at it in the store but i already had my Android tablets that i updated regularly and although i used OSX i kept on my mobile stuff Android and left iPhones after the 3Gs so no need for another.

then comes Surface 2 and it seemed better but not by much and again i considered it a tablet so PASS

then BAM Surface Pro 3 (i choose i5 256GB) and i looked then i saw the commercials and then i looked again and then i looked at my Samsung Tab Pro tablet and my Macbook Pro laptop and also my Android Note 3 phone and really what a mess of OS's and devices once i thought about it.

so really liking the OSX world i had moved to with a mix of Linux i can assure you everyone that knows me would have taken odds on NO WAY is he gonna switch back to Windows. in fact i was responsible for creating so many Mac users in the last decade and mainly because the people that bothered once a year to fix their in

OOH MY I LOST THE OTHER HALF OF THIS POST :(

anyway it said what a great choice i made and now have one device and rounded off my conversion back a few days ago with a windows phone. how can you compare when all your devices like your tablet, laptop, desktop, and phone are all as one?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thoughtful post.

I am a revived Windows fan, too. I always use Windows at my office, but the Surface and some timely, clever improvements to the OS brought it back into my home -

I am a Mac OS X guy.
I am a PC Windows guy.
A pizza fan.
A burger fan.
Apples are great.
Oranges are too.

Last edited:
OP
fletch33

fletch33

Thoughtful post.

I am a revived Windows fan, too. I always use Windows at my office, but the Surface and some timely, clever improvements to the OS brought it back into my home -

I am a Mac OS X guy.
I am a PC Windows guy.
A pizza fan.
A burger fan.
Apples are great.
Oranges are too.

indeed and not dissing OSX as i have to complete my move completely but very happy with the results of the SP3 :)

I still have an iMac at home. Not sure why really - my day-to-day machine is the Surface and my phone is now a Galaxy Note 4 (I've got a thing about writing on things it seems).

I know that it's a market inevitability, but the utter ring-fencing of Apple from anything else really does get to me.

I'll diss OSX....I've had to use it on a Project I'm working on and it has to be one of the most unintuitive OS's I've used. Things are so tedious just to do simple functions (having to stop a USB Flash Drive????).

Also - OSX and iOS were the most vulnerable OS targets in 2014 :)

http://www.gfi.com/blog/most-vulnerable-operating-systems-and-applications-in-2014/

I totally agree

As part of my job I also manage IT at my workplace. A mix of PCs and Macs. the mac's are, by far, the most hatefull things to do anything on. Im not sure how they have the reputation as being easy to use. Even the simple stuff is no simpler than a PC running 7/8/8.1

OP
fletch33

fletch33

well guys not to make this a Mac/PC debate but after many years fully using both there are advantages to both and upon my switching back to Windows i see things that are much nicer and also see things i cant believe are not there too.

all i can say is that it is mainly the SP3 hardware that got me to switch back to an OS i hadnt lived in day to day in 10 years.

ptrkhh

I totally agree

As part of my job I also manage IT at my workplace. A mix of PCs and Macs. the mac's are, by far, the most hatefull things to do anything on. Im not sure how they have the reputation as being easy to use. Even the simple stuff is no simpler than a PC running 7/8/8.1
Mainly because it doesn't have the dual-personality of 8.1, and clicking random .exe file wont infect the machine.

Oh, and this www.hanselman.com/blog/DownloadWrappersAndUnwantedSoftwareArePureEvil.aspx