What's new

Have they fixed the bug where the device crashes when booting from sleep?

machistmo

Did you replace the keyboard as well?

Me? No. Just the Tablet. It was a pretty standard deal. Ship Tablet in plain box, get tablet back. Though it came in a box that I would consider not fit for shipping and was covered in greasy fingerprints.
:(

GoodBytes

Me? No. Just the Tablet. It was a pretty standard deal. Ship Tablet in plain box, get tablet back. Though it came in a box that I would consider not fit for shipping and was covered in greasy fingerprints.
:(

I would have returned the keyboard as it could be the faulty one.
I had the same issue as you. Well basically, I bought the SP2, when it arrived the boxed was smashed, and the device while did not show any physical damage, the digitizer for the pen did not work edge to edge of the screen. So I ordered another one, and did a return of this one. In mean time, I was playing the broken device, to check it out and see how it performance, to see if I would be happy with it, basically. Once done, I refreshed it all is good. I remember reading about the missing telemetry driver, so I looked to see if it was fixed, and it was not an issue.

Once I received the second one, it was working fine, it was ok at first, so I went out and bought the keyboard as Microsoft online store didn't have it stock at no point in time.
I have been using it for a week. But then I realize at the digitizer for the pen works fine everywhere but the top left corner it randomly clicks, and also there was something that drove me buts with the trackpad, there were bumps. You could not visually see it, but feel it. So I returned both to their respective places. Now, before I returned it, I refreshed the device to not leave any personal information, and I noticed the missing drivers. I contact MS about it, as I wanted to know how to fix it, and share the findings with everyone. My as well play around with a device I am about to return. So nothing worked, and the staff told me it's not to worry it's just telemetry data collection on the keyboard usage, and not anything functional, and that a firmware coming up should fix it. So ok. I returned it.

Ordered a new SP2, and ought a new keyboard once I got my new third SP2. This one everything is fine. This one had the new CPU inside. So I did a system image to get back to, and refresh the system to see. At worst I'll just return it and order a fourth one.. I don't mind. I am not the one paying shipping. And... well the driver was missing.. so I was like.. "Oh well. good think I have the image. Let me just do a Windows Update.", and then voila... fixed after reboot. No issues.

So I am thinking.. that perhaps it's the keyboard that had an issue. It also fixed another issue that some people had where sleep shutdown the system which I encountered with my second SP2.

OP
macmee

macmee

Alright men, tomorrow I'll be portable with my Surface all day. If it starts crashing I'll make sure to give you guys a shout... and to give Microsoft an even louder shout.

By the way if anyone is contemplating between a touch and type cover.... get the type cover.

superpupz

Yes, 5 days for me without a crash is a record. So for now, I am not going to return this because it's definitely better than it was.

OP
macmee

macmee

Yes, 5 days for me without a crash is a record. So for now, I am not going to return this because it's definitely better than it was.

I have good news and bad news:

good news is that the battery on these tablets is crazy, first time I've ever gotten 10 hours of almost constant use, impressive!

bad news is I suffered the sleep crash twice today.

WHYYYYYYY BUGROSOFT

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

ALSO I WANT MY $1,000 :cry:

aceattack

good news is that the battery on these tablets is crazy, first time I've ever gotten 10 hours of almost constant use, impressive!

macmee, do you mind sharing your power settings (saving I assume, with screen dimmed to 50%?? etc.) and also if you were using wifi throughout this time? thanks :)

superpupz

bad news is I suffered the sleep crash twice today.

WHYYYYYYY BUGROSOFT

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

ALSO I WANT MY $1,000 :cry:

Don't know what is happening, but the table is definitely so much more stable now, beside that one crash 3 days ago, it's been fine again. So definitely on the mend.