What's new

help in buying

Fady

Hi .. who can help me in choosing between surface pro 3 i5 8gb rams 265 ssd or pro 4 4gb rams 128 ssd

leeshor

The Pro 4 has a much newer processor and faster storage. I have the i5/4/128 and it does pretty much everything I need. The big deal is that the SP3's processor is 2 generations behind.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about the battery life ?

Pretty much the same. Maybe things will change when Microsoft finally sort windows 10 out. I used both my sp3 and sp4 at university last year and they were both similar, and would both get me through the day.

kristalsoldier

Pretty much the same. Maybe things will change when Microsoft finally sort windows 10 out. I used both my sp3 and sp4 at university last year and they were both similar, and would both get me through the day.

But does this mean that for someone (like the OP) who has minimal needs - Office and browsing - the SP3 (kitted out with the new Pen and Type Cover) is a more cost effective option? The difference between the processors - for a normal workload - would not really be significant would it?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
But does this mean that for someone (like the OP) who has minimal needs - Office and browsing - the SP3 (kitted out with the new Pen and Type Cover) is a more cost effective option? The difference between the processors - for a normal workload - would not really be significant would it?

As a user with a similar use case, that is to say a typical computer user, other than a quieter machine, there is absolutely no benefit to upgrading imo. Unless Hello is your thing, then the sp4 brings nothing to the table to justify it over a cheaper sp3 for the casual user. And I honestly can't say the new type cover is worth buying given the price of the old one these days, it and the pen are perfectly capable accessories. I bought the sp4 because I could, but if I had common sense I'd have just bought another sp3 :) no noticable difference when using it.

kristalsoldier

As a user with a similar use case, that is to say a typical computer user, other than a quieter machine, there is absolutely no benefit to upgrading imo. Unless Hello is your thing, then the sp4 brings nothing to the table to justify it over a cheaper sp3 for the casual user. And I honestly can't say the new type cover is worth buying given the price of the old one these days, it and the pen are perfectly capable accessories. I bought the sp4 because I could, but if I had common sense I'd have just bought another sp3 :) no noticable difference when using it.

Good points!! But I do think the new Type Cover is really a marked improvement on the previous generation though that was good too - this is just better. And, as for the Pen, I find it comfy to hold and use which is more than what I could say about the previous generation's Pen though that worked - in terms of functionality - well too. But yes, I deliberately decided to buy the new Type Cover and the Pen and stick with the SP3 till later this year when I will look for a SP5 upgrade. I think that would be a more noticeable upgrade at least for me.

CrockettGTO

Sharing my perspective.
I've been very pleased with my SP3 for casual use.
O365, web, one note, email and drawing in fresh paint. No real gaming other than casual stuff. (I personally prefer console gaming over PC)

I got a great deal over the holidays. The manager at the MS store matched the Costco 599 bundle deal for me on the I3.
The Costco bundle was the I3 w/64GB storage but the MS store only had the 128GB so I paid a 50.00 difference and they gave me a free upgrade to the type 4 cover. I also paid the difference between the 3 and 4 pen and upgraded that too. Came with O365 home in the bundle as well. Has a nicer weight and balance to me over the 3 pen. Also single battery vs 2 different types to power it.
Been great for me and I've had no problems so far with it on W10.