What's new

Help needed connecting devices

farmmom

I reset my Surface Pro 3 the end of January. I had purchased software and wasn't able to get the program working. The reset fixed that, but now that I am trying to connect my phone (Samsung Note 3) and camera (Canon EOS 30D) with the USB, neither device is being recognized by the computer to import pictures. I had no problem before the reset. My SP3 had been upgraded to Microsoft 10 prior to the reset.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome

Try opening device manager, and see if it shows any unrecognized devices. Click refresh, to seeif anything changes.

I find that with my android phones and tablets, I have to set them to file transfer, as opposed to something else they want to do by default, and only then will it show up on the surface.

Can't comment on the camera, mine works just fine (although not if I plug it into the dock)

OP
F

farmmom

What is the rule? Always restart?

Other things had stopped working while I was researching and trying to figure this out. Restarted... and it works.

Russ

What is the rule?
FarmMom --
There is not a "one size fits all" rule, or, if there is one, I haven't found it yet. It will vary by device and, in my case, even by computer. When I plug my Windows phone into my "Main computer," it is immediately recognized. When I plug into my "Shop computer" (both Intel, running Win10 Pro), I either have to Restart or, as Hugh suggests, go through Device Manager to activate it.
You will quickly learn which devices do what, so accommodation will be automatic.
Take care,
Russ