What's new

hooray - a new Fimware!

MickeyLittle

I agree with you there. I think people understand that issues happen but the key to either pissing off a customer or making them think MS cares about them is communication. There must be some unwritten rule somewhere that you never communicate with the customer because I can count on 1 hand the number of companies that have handled my issues this way.

It would only take their techs a few min to send an email to all the customers with open cases about this a short email saying they know we're waiting on a fix but they're still working on it and are sorry and appreciate our patience.

And for me that would be worth it's weight in gold! It's just the uncertainty that drives people like me up a wall!

MickeyLittle

Called the support a few minutes ago. They told me, that they started to roll out the new firmware in waves. So maybe some of you guys can confirm this?! I rly hope i dont get fooled by the support, cuz they wanted to buy themselfs time... :-(

@Ruffles: Yearh mby thats true, i have no insight. But you have to say, that MS products are highly polished. Anyways this company rly has to step up there communication.

Well I don't want to be a kill joy but it's been about 2 hours since they started rolling out the firmware in waves.... I haven't seen anybody who have gotten it yet so at this point a small white cap on the horizon would look pretty sweet!

jrapdx

Called the support a few minutes ago. They told me, that they started to roll out the new firmware in waves. So maybe some of you guys can confirm this?! I rly hope i dont get fooled by the support, cuz they wanted to buy themselfs time... :-(

@Ruffles: Yearh mby thats true, i have no insight. But you have to say, that MS products are highly polished. Anyways this company rly has to step up there communication.

Waves???? Rolling out firmware in waves? Does that really compute? It's not like "firmware" is a physical thing, like a car or something. I mean, put the chunk of binary code on the servers, where Windows Update can find it, and that's it.

Is there a reason to have it available in only a few regions at a time? Doesn't seem this is how updates have been distributed. I'm having trouble making sense of "waves" here.

If I'm wrong, I hope someone tells me what I'm misunderstanding...

CreativeLemming

Waves???? Rolling out firmware in waves? Does that really compute? It's not like "firmware" is a physical thing, like a car or something. I mean, put the chunk of binary code on the servers, where Windows Update can find it, and that's it.

Is there a reason to have it available in only a few regions at a time? Doesn't seem this is how updates have been distributed. I'm having trouble making sense of "waves" here.

I'd take any communication that comes word of mouth from support with a pinch of salt. As soon as somebody receives it they'll be sure to post here, anything other than an official, public posting from MS is pure rumour and speculation.

As for releasing in waves, I wouldn't be surprised that for something this sensitive would be released slowly and surely - if there's any reported problem they can pull it before destroying everybody's devices...

Having said that, I'm keenly checking for updates :)

MickeyLittle

This is how Apple had to do it I know a couple years ago because of the massive amount of people downloading such a large ios file at the same time. This is also how Asus chose to do it with their Asus Transformers as their servers were probably not quite the giants that a Microsoft or an Apple have. But to my knowledge that is the reasoning behind the rolling it out in different areas, right or wrong.

Rvacha

Ruffles - Thanks. That needed to be said. BUT playing devil's advocate (or maybe more like questioning in order to get a better understanding) I would say that:
1. New is new and the Intel platform is new to them, no?
2. It appears to me that a lot of what MS has been issuing under the category of "firmware" is actually BIOS, no? American Megatrends appears to be coding the BIOS, and I'd expect these guys to understand Intel platforms in their sleep

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ruffles - Thanks. That needed to be said. BUT playing devil's advocate (or maybe more like questioning in order to get a better understanding) I would say that:
1. New is new and the Intel platform is new to them, no?
2. It appears to me that a lot of what MS has been issuing under the category of "firmware" is actually BIOS, no? American Megatrends appears to be coding the BIOS, and I'd expect these guys to understand Intel platforms in their sleep

!. New to MS as an OEM, this role was played by there OEM Partners in the past.

2. BIOS is a deprecated function with UEFI systems, for the past 5 years (prior to Windows 8) UEFI Firmware was backwards compatible with BIOS functionality to allow non-secure boot environments, starting with Windows 8 all SoC systems were required to use UEFI Secure with no backward compatibility and non SoC systems to get the Designed for Windows 8 moniker were required to move UEFI Firmware as well.

roteweste

I'd take any communication that comes word of mouth from support with a pinch of salt. As soon as somebody receives it they'll be sure to post here, anything other than an official, public posting from MS is pure rumour and speculation.

As for releasing in waves, I wouldn't be surprised that for something this sensitive would be released slowly and surely - if there's any reported problem they can pull it before destroying everybody's devices...

Having said that, I'm keenly checking for updates :)
Yep i am pretty shure the support called bullshit. After the "install the default secure boot keys"-fix and a complete reset of my device, the support needed "to talk" to another employer for about 30min and finaly came back with that lame excuse. My guess is: They have the order to play the clock and get as less reclaims as possible. They are barley have any idea when the firmware comes. That said, i feel rly sad, that they straight up lie customers.

ps: Sorry for bad english.

jrapdx

This is how Apple had to do it I know a couple years ago because of the massive amount of people downloading such a large ios file at the same time. This is also how Asus chose to do it with their Asus Transformers as their servers were probably not quite the giants that a Microsoft or an Apple have. But to my knowledge that is the reasoning behind the rolling it out in different areas, right or wrong.

You are right, and I didn't consider bandwidth effects, which of course would be a reason to "spread out" availability of downloads.

A couple of questions come to mind, I'm wondering how many downloads would there be for the SP2 firmware, how much strain would the transactions put on MS servers or internet connections. I know, hard to say, but I'm guessing the load wouldn't be all that severe.

Maybe my "objection" is only to the term "waves", which is overly dramatic vs. accurately descriptive of the situation.

Rvacha

There is ZERO need for "waves" in this case. Releasing a single firmware update for a single device is a walk in the park compared to the flurry of updates they launch every super Tuesday for a gazillion OSes and apps without a hitch. I have seen several "wave" launches (not from MS but AT&T in particular is famous for trickling out phone updates this way) and in every single case I suspect they did it because they wanted to "test the waters" and verify it worked correctly before unleashing it on the masses. If the SP firmware does come out in a wave, I will assume the worse :)

OP
R

reach

Wohoo, so it's hard to produce a properly working device? Poor MS, shall I send them a tissue?
Who else has made such a mess? Apples antenna gate was NOTHING compared to this, plus they have communicated the issue perfectly. And they didn't wait 2 months (at least) to fix it.

You all act like MS is some fly by night companies with 3 guys in a garage that purposely don't test their stuff because they don't give a crap about anything or anyone.
No, not we are acting like that - MS is acting like that.

Wohoo, they have nightly builds! Who has not?

Wohoo, they test. What did they test that made them believe that putting rubbish painting on a mobile device is a great idea?

I'm also working in this business so I know things aren't always that easy. But we are talking about Microsoft! And we're talking about their first own hardware computer. And we're talking about a product that can remedy Windows 8 reputation.
If this was the only issue, ok, but there are just so many bugs. And let's not forget that the SP1 had many of these issues already, so they really had all the time in the world to get them sorted out. I don't know if they can't or they don't want, however, this is just ridiculous.