What's new

Improving SSD performance

Fazer Rider

The link indicates it is for the SK hynix SH920-STD 2.5 inch 128GB model,
yet you have successfully applied it to your 256Gb model. Is this a Dell specific firmware or a universal one?

Download and run: it states it is for 64-512Gb models of the SK Hynix SH920-STD series. Once run you have an unpacked fw updater program and a Hynix powerpoint file with instructions.It a universal updater, labeled by/for Dell.

ynohtna

Here's my result, though shouldn't it be even smoother than that?

Anyways, will try it out the rest of the day to see if anything is improved.

sp3hdtunetestafterdiskfreshafterreboot.PNG

Philo

what are the negative of using this program every month? I mean not just for sp3 but other harddrive, I've read what it does but can someone explain it a bit easier for me to see what it does if you get me xP

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
what are the negative of using this program every month? I mean not just for sp3 but other harddrive, I've read what it does but can someone explain it a bit easier for me to see what it does if you get me xP
I'm not sure there is a negative as what it's doing is what the Drive Firmware should be doing in the background anyway. If there is a negative it would be slightly reduced lifetime of the drive as it will only withstand xxx thousands of write cycles before degrading or failing. That said I've never heard of this limit ever being reached in everyday use. Though the theoretical limit does exist, and can be proven in a lab experiment, in practical terms it's not happened in normal use cases.

Steve Barcomb

ctitanic, I've followed the thread in the microsoft answers forum and don't see any acknowledgement that MS knows about this. Have you been successful in getting their attention regarding this issue?

Randy31416

ctitanic, I've followed the thread in the microsoft answers forum and don't see any acknowledgement that MS knows about this. Have you been successful in getting their attention regarding this issue?
I believe MS is aware of this issue, because I posted a while ago in the MS forum thread and was recently asked by a forum moderator (MS via private message but within the forum thread) for the serial number of my Surface Pro 3.

ynohtna

I decided to refresh my surface (due to some annoying bugs that I had enough of), removing all files (but not the long method) and it's super fast right now :D Hope it lasts... like the big indicator for me is the search charm. Type update. So many times, Windows Update doesn't show up at all in the list!

Time to enable hyper v!