What's new

Landscape VS portrait

Korlon

I heard MS is going to do away with silicon as well. Yes, there is no silicon in the sp3. It is to be replaced with silly putty and where convenient play-d'oh. The switch to the new material was revealed to be the cause Steve Ballmer's exit as CEO of MS. When contacted about this Mr Ballmer stated "It was the most asinine idea since naming our MP3 player 'Zune'".

This is just in addition to the removal of Bluetooth and WiFi capabilities, as MS thinks connectivity is just a silly fad. Plus it is hard to get a signal with an antennae made from boiled pasta.

One of the more controversial developments of the SP3 was the substitution of the solid state hard drive with a rusty nail sourced by a small firm in Albania. The Albanian firm stands behind their product and stated unequivocally that the read/write time of the former weathered timber fastener was on par with Samsung EVO drive and could potentially last much, much longer... for as long as the material withstands the oxidisation.

One idea that failed to materialize in the newly released SP3 was moving away from the scratch prone VapourMG body to just Vapour. The reason for returning to the original VapourMG was that there was no consensus reached by the development team as to what kind of vapour they should use. Some suggested H2O but the PR department nixed the idea citing that using water in this way could offend potential customers in the more arid regions of potential windfall markets such as the Sudan, Mongolia and the coveted-by-all Libyan market where Blackberry still holds the lead in market share. Most surprising on this front was that there was no real concern as to how to a) contain the vapour, and b) how Surface product engineers expected to hold the innards of the machine in vapour.

cdf3

This point it moot because once you've attached the keyboard you have the Windows key on there that you can use. Also, for people saying it's better at the side when holding the machine, I don't agree... you're much more likely to accidentally touch it there, plus you won't be holding it anyway when the keyboard is attached to 'lapability' mode! Really stupid decision imo and it looks shit.

I don't think the point is moot. The OP has a valid point. The Windows Button on the keyboard doesn't have all of the features like the one on the bezel. You can't take screen shots using the Windows Button + Volume Down combination using the the keyboard. It has to be done using the Windows Button on the bezel.

CrippsCorner

Kayzee, its not just about functionality. It's the Logo. What company in the world would want their logo covered on their products?

Well, lets consider the best hardware manufacturer around, Apple. Now don't get me wrong I think the Surface is absolutely on par with what they do... but guess what, the iPhone/iPad doesn't even have a logo on the front!

There is no need to have a logo just for the sake of having a logo, that screams of desperation. I understand it more from the perspective of the rear of whatever you're using (surely the reason they changed it from the Windows logo to 'Surface') because others will see that, but whatever's facing you, is just for you, and... you should know what you're using lol.

Deckyon

I believe the only reason they moved it was it was getting accidently pushed in the position it was in.

I could see myself hitting it more in the new position than the old. I am left handed, so I would be holding the unit with my right, using my left with the pen or finger.

Korlon

Well, lets consider the best hardware manufacturer around, Apple. Now don't get me wrong I think the Surface is absolutely on par with what they do... but guess what, the iPhone/iPad doesn't even have a logo on the front!

There is no need to have a logo just for the sake of having a logo, that screams of desperation. I understand it more from the perspective of the rear of whatever you're using (surely the reason they changed it from the Windows logo to 'Surface') because others will see that, but whatever's facing you, is just for you, and... you should know what you're using lol.

I hear you, but in all honestly I have to disagree. Logo's are about branding, leaving a lasting impression whether it's an audience of one or one hundred. Check out steering wheels of cars, there is most likely a logo there. How many people see that logo beyond the driver (and maybe a VERY ANNOYING back seat driver?). What about your watch? There's a logo on the face of it, for how many people is that placement attracting? But all that pales in comparison to Logo's placed on tags inside your clothing.. surely there's a very limited audience for that one... yet it's still there waiting for your eyes to locate it when dressing/undressing.

As for Apple, well I disagree with you there as well. When turned on the iOS itself acts as a logo for the company. The design of the OS is so recognizable and differentiated from other OS's that almost anyone can recognize it instantly. Now the iOS is not exactly a 'logo' but it is an iconic image for Apple. And besides, there is no law saying there HAS to be a logo on the face of things, but it is a very common practice to place one there anyways. Nokia, HTC, Samsung etc all place their names on the faces of their phones and I'm pretty positive the users of their products know what they are using. Further, in those I just listed all but MSFT place their names in the most prominent position on the device, along the top. I think that is a much better placement for the windows logo than along the side, but the side makes more sense for function as your hands are a) there anyways when holding in landscape, b) closer to your hands when typing.

Last edited:

Deckyon

Another point about the iPad (and iPhone, MacBook Air and Pro). Apple's logo is facing everyone beyond the user. Everyone looking at the shining Apple on a MacBook knows exactly what it is, and the big apple on the back of the iOS devices, well, also on the back of the device. Look at the number of iPhone cases out there that has a window so the apple can be seen.

Apple is one of the few who do not have a logo facing the user, but that Home Button is definitely recognizable.

CrippsCorner

I hear you, but in all honestly I have to disagree. Logo's are about branding, leaving a lasting impression whether it's an audience of one or one hundred. Check out steering wheels of cars, there is most likely a logo there. How many people see that logo beyond the driver (and maybe a VERY ANNOYING back seat driver?). What about your watch? There's a logo on the face of it, for how many people is that placement attracting? But all that pales in comparison to Logo's placed on tags inside your clothing.. surely there's a very limited audience for that one... yet it's still there waiting for your eyes to locate it when dressing/undressing.

As for Apple, well I disagree with you there as well. When turned on the iOS itself acts as a logo for the company. The design of the OS is so recognizable and differentiated from other OS's that almost anyone can recognize it instantly. Now the iOS is not exactly a 'logo' but it is an iconic image for Apple. And besides, there is no law saying there HAS to be a logo on the face of things, but it is a very common practice to place one there anyways. Nokia, HTC, Samsung etc all place their names on the faces of their phones and I'm pretty positive the users of their products know what they are using. Further, in those I just listed all but MSFT place their names in the most prominent position on the device, along the top. I think that is a much better placement for the windows logo than along the side, but the side makes more sense for function as your hands are a) there anyways when holding in landscape, b) closer to your hands when typing.

Certainly an interesting take on advertising! I always presumed people were just like me... it's strange to hear that not everyone's the same. Personally I would have everything be logo-less, I mean you're paying them money to advertise their company! Pretty good deal for them, I do not need nor want any logos on anything, in an ideal world. An example of this (specifically because you mentioned cars) would be that I de-badge most of my cars!

You mention Nokia, HTC and Samsung regarding phones... none of which look as good as the smooth iPhone. Also, saying iOS design is unique to Apple etc. and instantly recognisable is a point worth making, but couldn't you say the same for Windows!?

I'm sure we're never going to agree on this point and that's absolutely fine, you're happy with your products and I'm happy with mine :) maybe they should release two versions to keep everyone happy lol.

F27

As a person who uses a Surface 99% of the time in landscape (without keyboard) I'm not liking the location of the Start button at all plus it makes the device look really UGLY (as its always shown in landscape with the kickstand out).

This also means holding it in landscape will now be impossible as that's where your thumb goes. Yet another move forced by peoples obsession with Apple and how every button on every manufactures device must be where Apple decided to put it. They even made the SP2 silver because it didn't look iPad enough.

I never had a problem with accidently pressing it EVER.

Last edited: