What's new

LifeSpan of SP3 battery...when will it die?

EvanSP3

Hello folks,
I've found a great deal of information on the battery life of a Surface Pro 3 given certain levels of usage, but I haven't found anything on the expected lifespan (in years hopefully) of the 42.2 Wh, 7.6 V, lithium ion battery it boasts.
Does anyone have any insight into how long a battery like that can last?
Especially since the SP3 is not a device that should really be opened
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+3+Teardown/26595
I would expect there to be more chatter about the long term investment side of the device.
While I love this amazing device, I'm not sure I'd want to continue to invest the $1200 I put into it every four to six years (rough average lifespan of laptop battery). OKAY, I am taking a few things for granted: 1) that the Surface Pro 3 wont be much cheaper by then 2) that my computing needs/wants won't grow (Surface 6 anyone?) 3) I won't be in a financially much better situation than I am now as a graduating senior in college making my concerns obsolete.

OP
E

EvanSP3

Okay since posting this, I've found information related to the battery that helps me to feel better about the SP3 value. Here's what I have found:
"the battery can get charged daily (5 days a week) for over 4.5 years and still maintain 80% capacity." and
"IF the battery fails during the warranty period, we’ll replace the battery.

IF the battery fails after the warranty period, you’ll call Microsoft support and arrange for the battery to be replaced. The cost will be $200 USD."

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/26m9cu/we_are_panos_panay_and_the_surface_team_at/chsd6cs

iMarc

Hi , Also, there are some tools that provides battery information. The utility powercfg.exe is one. Run it in a command line session with some switches like : POWERCFG /BATTERYREPORT /OUTPUT "batteryreport.html" or the switch /enerfgy also. (If you already have the tablet of course ).