What's new

Microsoft replaced my surface pro 2 with pro 3

J12to4

Thanks for this thread man.

I got my Pro 2 i5 4GB replaced by a Pro 3 + Black Type Cover with the same configuration. It´s a refurbished one, but it works perfectly.

I used the normal warranty, not the extended one, so I sent in my Pro 2 first.

Support guy said that he didnt know if they have the Pro 2 in stock, so I would have to find out when it arrives.

J12to4

About one week. I live in Germany. You should get a UPS delivery notice, when your items has been shipped.

cruzer

Turned in my SP2 for warranty repair (glad I paid extended warranty) just opened up my box and have a SP3 i7 512 .. Xmas present early for me ..

The MS store said they'll open my box up first to make sure it's working and then call me. Hmmm...

update 12/23/15 : Cruzer- What kind of SP2 unit did you return to get the i7?

With the different issues I have been having with the local MS store, I'm wondering (and not saying they done this before) if they would take the SP3 (if that's what MS sent to replace my SP2) and swap it for a used SP2 in the shop? Which is why they are saying to me that MS has a supply of SP2 to swap and when they get the SP2, they'll check it out first before calling me to come in to pick it up.

Last edited:
Ok, so I called the MS yesterday and I was told the usual that it would take a few weeks before it would be returned to them. I mentioned that last time I called, I was told since you shipped it out about a week late, you sent it via next day. And once they confirm the unit, they send it back 2nd day. Its been about two weeks now. He checked the stock room. Came back and said it just came in today. They'll open the unit up and update it for me then call me to come and get it. I said that would be great! I heard they sent me a SP3 because they no longer are making SP2. He said, um I have to check but I thought we were still getting SP2. He checked the box and said it was a new SP3 i5/8GB/256GB SSD. They sent it with a new keyboard and pen and power supply. I said I would come down that day.
So I get there and the guy gets me the SP3 (just the SP3, no box or anything) and had me sign a paper saying I got it. I said, where's everything else? He said, all you turned in was the tablet. I said, I was told not to turn in the keyboard and everything else. And how am I supposed to use the SP3 without everything? It's a different pen, and different power supply and keyboard. He went to the back and came back with a brown box that I assume the surface was in, a bubble wrap that had a pen and another with a power supply, and a new keyboard box with a keyboard in it. He kept the brown box, and gave me the rest and put them in a MS store bag.
So although it took a while and it felt weird the way things was handled, MS really did upgrade my SP2 8GB w/256GB SSD to a SP3 with same specs.

cruzer

The MS store said they'll open my box up first to make sure it's working and then call me. Hmmm...

update 12/23/15 : Cruzer- What kind of SP2 unit did you return to get the i7?

With the different issues I have been having with the local MS store, I'm wondering (and not saying they done this before) if they would take the SP3 (if that's what MS sent to replace my SP2) and swap it for a used SP2 in the shop? Which is why they are saying to me that MS has a supply of SP2 to swap and when they get the SP2, they'll check it out first before calling me to come in to pick it up.
I had a i5 512gb ... I'm guessing they sent the i7 because it was the only model with 512gb

davidf01

Does anyone know who I can contact besides the normal support number for the surface pro 2 warranty service? Somebody at MS that can help with my Service Request Number and has authority to make decisions? This request was made on DEC 30 for a replacement surface pro 2. It has been 13 days and they still have not sent the replacement and they still have a $1299 hold on my credit card. Does it take more then two weeks to replace a surface pro 2 under warranty ? I don't think the replacement insurance I paid for says MS will ship a device when they feel like it.

I have called 3 or 4 times all I get for an answer is "it is delayed" Nobody knows what is up. I keep trying to talk to somebody that can solve this issue but apparently even the supervisor doesn't know who to talk to. Somebody must be able to authorize me to go to a MS store and get an equivalent replacement.

Does anyone know a better way to deal with this other then going to a different brand?

Expecho

So i got a sp3 pro (i5) as well as a replacement (using avances exchange). Now should I ship back the type cover 2, pen and charger as well? Doesn't exactly fit in the plastic bag....

Rman14

Does anyone know who I can contact besides the normal support number for the surface pro 2 warranty service? Somebody at MS that can help with my Service Request Number and has authority to make decisions? This request was made on DEC 30 for a replacement surface pro 2. It has been 13 days and they still have not sent the replacement and they still have a $1299 hold on my credit card. Does it take more then two weeks to replace a surface pro 2 under warranty ? I don't think the replacement insurance I paid for says MS will ship a device when they feel like it.

I have called 3 or 4 times all I get for an answer is "it is delayed" Nobody knows what is up. I keep trying to talk to somebody that can solve this issue but apparently even the supervisor doesn't know who to talk to. Somebody must be able to authorize me to go to a MS store and get an equivalent replacement.

Does anyone know a better way to deal with this other then going to a different brand?

It took that long for me. I called on the 3rd of January and just now (Jan 18th) got the email that my replacement has shipped. My account has been updated with the replacement SP3 serial number. I've contacted them multiple times just like you and was informed each time it's delayed, with no ETA. Here is part of the support transcript:

Mario: I can see here that the order is included on our inventory report for delayed orders.
Mario: We greatly apologize if the order is getting delayed.
Mario: The reason behind is because we had alot of orders that were placed on hold because of the past holidays and some of these orders have no stocks available on our service center and unfortunately, your order is one of them.

Might just have to wait it out.

Rman14

So i got a sp3 pro (i5) as well as a replacement (using avances exchange). Now should I ship back the type cover 2, pen and charger as well? Doesn't exactly fit in the plastic bag....

Did they send you a SP3 Type Cover, Pen and Charger?