What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

You're getting really good at this. o_O
Haha, it still earns me peanuts, though. Fortunately, programming isn't my day job. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I'd be homeless right now. People just don't want to pay for apps. I'm thankful everyday this is just a hobby.

Added by edit.

Unlike other programmers, I work on several things at once. Probably ADD. I would work on part of the code for one thing, part of the code for another, go back and forth between 3 different things. Amazingly enough, they work together after I put them together.

Anyway, next update will have text-to-speech function. It's possible I might throw in the ability to control the age of the voice. Someone might find the voice of a 5 year old girl therapeutic.

The big stumbling block right now is converting a word doc to pdf. There's a service online where I can pay a monthly fee to use their server to convert. But like I said before, I want my app to be self-contained. So, I set out to write an algo that would transpose the contents of a word document into pdf format. I searched the entire internet and found absolutely nothing for winrt environment when it comes to such a conversion. Earlier today while driving home, I had an idea on how to do this. Theoretically, it should be possible. I'll keep working on it and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
OP
G

goodintentions

Haha, just got word from MS test person of the latest update. He's having trouble understanding the purpose of this app. Wants me to explain why this app is useful before he certifies it.:rolleyes: May be too many functions for him to test out? He's too used to seeing single purpose apps?

OP
G

goodintentions

You are breaking new ground. ;)
I'm quite taken aback by their reaction, considering the number of crap apps in the store where you never ever see the devs update their apps while here I am having to explain to the tester the reasons I put those functions in there. I think they wanted each feature to have its own app?

Anyway, I wrote an explanation and resubmitted.

I'm so glad I found your app! I was looking for a few hours for a touch optimized word processor. I hope it really has (or will have) as many features as MS word like you planned. The first thing I'm going to do when I get my surface in a few days is download your app. I hope you're still looking for testers because I'm going to bug the crap out of you until I'm satisfied with your app :p

OP
G

goodintentions

I'm so glad I found your app! I was looking for a few hours for a touch optimized word processor. I hope it really has (or will have) as many features as MS word like you planned. The first thing I'm going to do when I get my surface in a few days is download your app. I hope you're still looking for testers because I'm going to bug the crap out of you until I'm satisfied with your app :p
Go for it. Give me all the suggestions you can think of.

OP
G

goodintentions

Keep this in mind, though. MS is a multi billion dollar industry employing tens of thousands of software engineers. I'm a structure engineer pretending to be a programmer. I've never had any formal programming training. It's incredibly unfair if you put my app right up against MS office. Of course my app would fail miserably. Just sayin'.

Edit.

Can I ask you guys to please take a moment and review the app? 9 review so far, and there are hundreds of downloads already. Not exactly snapchat numbers, but come on, throw me a bone here.

Tsurugaya

Now that I've used it for some time, I'd say that the dashboard/control icons dominate too much of available screen real estate, especially on smaller tablet like devices such as a Surface Pro 2 or Asus Vivo Tab Note 8.
Perhaps you could make some different colored tabs on the left side of the screen and when the user taps a tab the corresponding selection of icons will slide in from screen margin and then perhaps leave a small icon with user defined commands icons that will expand when tapped.

OP
G

goodintentions

Now that I've used it for some time, I'd say that the dashboard/control icons dominate too much of available screen real estate, especially on smaller tablet like devices such as a Surface Pro 2 or Asus Vivo Tab Note 8.
Perhaps you could make some different colored tabs on the left side of the screen and when the user taps a tab the corresponding selection of icons will slide in from screen margin and then perhaps leave a small icon with user defined commands icons that will expand when tapped.
You can collapse that dashboard by checking the box top left corner.

Edit.

Colored tabs is a good idea. Thanks! Will implement in next update.

Keep this in mind, though. MS is a multi billion dollar industry employing tens of thousands of software engineers. I'm a structure engineer pretending to be a programmer. I've never had any formal programming training. It's incredibly unfair if you put my app right up against MS office. Of course my app would fail miserably. Just sayin'.

Edit.

Can I ask you guys to please take a moment and review the app? 9 review so far, and there are hundreds of downloads already. Not exactly snapchat numbers, but come on, throw me a bone here.

Oh I know, I'll keep my expectations reasonable! But as far as I can tell, at $7 and no subscription, your program falls exactly where I need it to. I just wish I could help out with the coding haha.

As for your newer question about the trial, I downloaded it (hit try) but I don't see a timer and the read-only check box is marked and blocked off.