What's new

Multiple issues, need some help

Rugbyguy541

So I am creating a thread for this, as I have a list of issues that I can't seem to find much out about, even with the search. Any and all advice is appreciated. I LOVE this device and don't want to return it, but I would like to find a way to resolve these issues.

1) Frequent Crashing. All of my firmware and everything is up to date. It happens no matter what I am doing. The audio will freeze, everything freezes up and I have to hold down the sleep button for around 10-15 seconds until it powers off. This will happen once or twice a day, seemingly more if I am on battery.

2) Pen not always working. So when I am writing occasionally, the pen won't work, but in the style as when you are writing with a normal pen and the ink starts getting low and it misses some spots. Usually to fix it, I have to restart the SP3, so another reason to restart it. Also the tip has worn down, will that effect it?

3) How to monitor device heat, maybe be able to manually trigger fans? So I have read alot about fans running alot for throttling, and have yet to experience that, but my device does get really warm. I use this as a book/notebook replacement for school, so I write on it alot, and notice the right side gets quite warm after some extended use. I was wondering how I can monitor the heat, and find out the normal ranges?

4) How can I kill apps when I close them? It seems it just closes the window and keeps running the process, I have to open task manager and kill it that way every time.

So those are the issues with the SP3 itself, here are some other side stuff you awesome folk might know.

For OneNote 2013, is there a way to get the options wheel like is in the OneNote Metro app? I hate having to constantly pull down the bar and make selection that way, as I usually study in full screen mode.

And I guess that's it. As I said, I absolutely love this device, but the frequent crashes and the pen issue are very frustrating, and the heat issue worries me. Any and all advice would be great.

Feoen

Congratulations on your purchase! :D Let me see if I can help out.

1. This is not normal. Best advice I can give is to try refreshing the device, which will restore it to factory defaults I believe. I know a few others had crashing issues and refreshing did not fix it, so they had to exchange their device. I have never had a crash, and I have been using my SP3 extensively since the day after it was released.

2. Tip wear is normal, but you shouldn't have to be pressing overly hard to get a response. Might be worth wiping the screen with a microfiber cloth. You should be able to drag it across the screen without it messing up. There was an N-Trig update to the driver that they have on their website, so try installing that.

3. I use Core Temp to monitor temperature levels, but I do not know about manually controlling the fans.

4. When you just "drag down" the app, it freezes it instead of killing the process. Instead, open the app, drag it to the bottom of the screen and hold it for 5 seconds. The app will "flip", then finish dragging it down. That will kill the app (or, if you just let go of it, will restart the app fresh). Alternatively, you can use Task Manager.

5. Not sure about the OneNote wheel; I think that's a Metro-only feature but I can't be sure.

Good luck!

Seneleron

4. When you just "drag down" the app, it freezes it instead of killing the process. Instead, open the app, drag it to the bottom of the screen and hold it for 5 seconds. The app will "flip", then finish dragging it down. That will kill the app (or, if you just let go of it, will restart the app fresh). Alternatively, you can use Task Manager.

I actually didn't realize this. I'm assuming the point is so that live tile apps that periodically request date [ie: mail] aren't fully shut down?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I actually didn't realize this. I'm assuming the point is so that live tile apps that periodically request date [ie: mail] aren't fully shut down?

Correct - all Modern UI Apps have the ability to suspend, so when they are off screen of just closed (not dragged and flipped closed) keep a small piece of the code resident for fast App switching, they will also give up any resources they are consuming for Active Apps, so even while they may show in Task Manager they typically use very little in regards to System Resources....