My Favorite SP3 Feature I did not expect

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by BillJ, Jul 5, 2014.

1. BillJ

BillJ Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    When the SP3 was announced, I immediately saw this as the device I was waiting for... perfect size, functionality, etc. During the initial demonstrations, I saw how the purple pen tip could call up OneNote and/or set up a screen clip.

My initial impression to this? Ho-hum, that seems pretty stupid, but a nice parlor trick. Something that I will never use.

So for many days after I received my SP3 I did not even try out this feature. However, when I started to work on a new presentation that required assembling a variety of media into PowerPoint, I thought I would give the Pen Trick a try.

Now I am hooked! I use this feature every day. I can't imagine how I got along without it. This was a great idea on the part of the MS engineers and designers.

Makes me wonder what other features of this device I have not discovered or used yet..

Moonsurface and nnthemperor like this.
  2. ctitanic

ctitanic Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Like I have said many times. Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never will be able to live without it.

3. sirchris

sirchris New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Is it possible (via software) to use the pen for slideshows? Just curious.

4. Ms.Dos

Ms.Dos New Member

In what way? You can use the pen to write on slides during slideshows. And, of course, you can always use it as a mouse / finger substitute for buttons and navigation.

I also echo Frank's comment about inking. I have been using Tablet PC's since 2004 and the combination of Digital Ink and OneNote have always struck me as being something of a "killer app" once you see how easily they integrate into the way you already do things.

For example, in this week I have used the Surface/OneNote/Pen combo to:
    • Map out a business process as I interviewed a client. They just talked about what they do, and I drew the boxes and lines that showed how they were working. At the same time OneNote was recording the meeting, and remembering at what point I drew / wrote each mark or note. That means I can click on a part of the note and replay what was being said in the meeting at that point!
    • Draw a "map" of the raised beds in my vegetable garden so I can plan what will stay and what will go when I do fall replanting.
    • Draw a fast diagram of a customer's web site to help them explain what they want moved to where.
    • Doodle various sketches during a long boring planning meeting.
    • Quickly select a step-by-step procedure from a web site that I want to remember and shot it right over to OneNote.
    I remember when the Surface Pro first came out I kept waiting for the reviews or ads to show some of this functionality that only comes with Windows/Office and an Active Digitizer - but, no, the ads were all about how much fun it was to click the keyboard to the screen.

5. ctitanic

My Device:
    SPro3
    Yes your can.
    Screenshot (27).png

sirchris likes this.
  6. sirchris

sirchris New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I love the inking but my main question is can you use the pen's click for moving slides during presentations (like a presenter).

7. ctitanic

My Device:
    SPro3
    You have to tap the slide or use the bottom arrows in presenter mode.

8. jedge

jedge Member

Check out this site: http://www.eventghost.org/
    and this video:

Brian1970 and kwright like this.
  9. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Member

I hope microsoft would add more gestures to the pen in the future, like twist the button to zoom in/out etc.

10. kwright

kwright Member

I also thought it was a useless feature but I use it extensively to teach patients and when finished print out the note as part of their instructions.

Antitoon likes this.
  11. Shawn Alfenito

Shawn Alfenito New Member

I have to agree with OP. I upgraded from a SP1. I mainly bought into the surface line because I am an artist and I wanted a device I could paint and sculpt on with the same apps I use on my desktop and with a pressure sensitive pen. I could have never imagined OneNote being something I would use every single day. I don't think I could ever go back to not being able to hand write notes and jot ideas while with clients. Taking notes in portrait like it's a legal pad feels so much better with the new aspect ratio and the thinner, lighter design of the SP3.

12. jedge

jedge Member

The Weather App was a nice surprise.
    Current weather/week -> Hourly -> Radar. Big, pretty, and it's super fast. That's exactly what i want from a weather app.

The XBox One Music app is very nice... but what's with having to pay a monthly fee on mobile devices, even if you're only using local music files?