What's new

my new SP2 8GB 256GB battery 33% plugged in not charging

davieboy

Hi all,

Really disappointing experience so far all the way over here in Dubai. My sp2 been working great for last few weeks. Now this is probably a coincidence but just 2-3 days after buying my type cover 2 I found my device beginning to act weird. The trackpad would stop working or keyboard would not respond. Removing and reconnecting the cover fixed this issues.... Then last Thursday was using SP2 and battery was a little low. Plugged in to charge as I was going to a meeting a few hours later.

About to go out to the meeting and I removed the power cable and the surface shut down instantly, blank screen. Replaced the cable and rebooted. Surface now showing 33% battery level plugged but not charging. Tried everything mentioned online. vol+ & power button to reset.... Didn't work. Even went as far as factory resetting the device with no joy. Now that it is in factory condition the device wont run windows update as it is saying that the device needs to be plugged in to update. The charger is working fine and I tested it with phone etc.

Today I have scheduled the device for return. When I called up my vendor and told them about my issue they told me I am not the first to experience this and that this has happened on more than a few occasions with other customers. She said they have reservations about the product based on the amount of returns!

I purchased this product as a work device and consider myself a power user. When the SP2 was working I didn't miss my MacBook pro at all (Which I used a lot in windows 8.1 via bootcamp) I hope the replacement will not suffer the same issues and that I am just unlucky with my purchase.

I will update this thread with my future experiences.

TunaSurface

Well the surface is a champ so when you get it back you wont miss the macbook.
I had my surface taken for replacement too. it took a month :mad:

OP
D

davieboy

The Dubai based repair company acting on behalf of the insurance company told me today that they are attempting to repair my surface and that the charging issue is a board related fault. So anybody who discovers the same issue as me take note that this is not a software or firmware issue but indeed a hardware problem. I am curious to see if this company can actually repair it. They have told me that if they cannot repair it then they will replace....just gotta play waiting game now. Will post results.

OP
D

davieboy

Got a brand new surface pro 2 replacement today. Updating windows now and trying to get everything back to previous setup.