What's new

Paint chips on bottom of kickstand?

ipaq_101

20140701_063446.jpg

I recently found a paint chip that reveals the metal body right on the bottom of the kickstand. I have only used this on my lap and have only used the machine for maybe 15 hours in total.

I made an appointment for the Microsoft store today, I am going to get it swapped out or have them replace the kick stand. What are the odds they do it?

I know wear and tear will happen, but after 10 days, that's crazy.

Last edited:

kodos

My SP2 had the same sort of paint chips, I am a little surprised to see it on the SP3 - thought that it was bare metal, didn't realize it was painted.

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

My SP2 had the same sort of paint chips, I am a little surprised to see it on the SP3 - thought that it was bare metal, didn't realize it was painted.

I hope they swap it out, I really don't want to fight them about this, after all the software issues we have to deal with, the last thing I want to add is build quality issues to the list.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It isn't paint, it part of the VaporMag casing chipped off, it is a manufacturing defect and they should exchange it for you...

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

Update: So I made an appointment at the MS store, FYI if you come early you still have to wait, so I waited another 30 minutes, not a big deal.

They did swap out my unit, but not after some back and forth, I think they realized that since I was under 30 days I would have just returned it, so they kept a sale.

After I got home I realized that the stylus tip was messed up, meaning pieces of plastic unraveling, I saw this a lot on the display units at the MS Store beforehand, so instead of driving back to the MS store (which is a pain), I called the Surface support and they are going to send me a replacement tip free of charge.

So far the customer service has been good, but these quality issues are all over the place. So long I get everything sorted out before school begins I will be fine. I suggest that everyone get an extended warranty, as soon as they saw I had it, they were more eager to help.

I ran all the updates and re-installed everything and I can say the fan on this unit has barely come on, the unit I swapped out, the fan would always come on and you can hear it. Maybe I got lucky.

Last edited:

kodos

Glad to hear it worked out for you - hopefully newer batches (in time for when I'm ready to pull the trigger) will have some of these teething problems resolved :)

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

Yeah me too. I ordered the Stickerboy skins, there is no way that this this is going to look good in a few months without any protection.