What's new

Power Cover extends Wireless Adapter battery life?

Has anyone performed a formal test on this? If you go to Microsoft support forum, the forum moderator claims it is not compatible. However, it has been verified on this forum that it works. What I want to know, is if it extends the battery life. That'd be awesome.

daniielrp

Has anyone performed a formal test on this? If you go to Microsoft support forum, the forum moderator claims it is not compatible. However, it has been verified on this forum that it works. What I want to know, is if it extends the battery life. That'd be awesome.

I'd be inclined to say no, as the keyboard adaptor charges through a separate microUSB connection.

However, as the power cover charges through the magnetic connection, and the Wireless adaptor gives out power through the magnetic connection, it may be possible to combine the two power sources to extend the life of the power cover.

However I have neither devices (being in the UK) so cannot verify...

jollywombat

Sadly I returned my wireless adapter for the keyboard due to the horrid battery life. Was amazed that it was so short considering I have an Apple wireless keyboard in the house here that can last for months on a couple AA's, yet was only getting about 7 hours or so with the wireless adapter from MS.

daniielrp

Sadly I returned my wireless adapter for the keyboard due to the horrid battery life. Was amazed that it was so short considering I have an Apple wireless keyboard in the house here that can last for months on a couple AA's, yet was only getting about 7 hours or so with the wireless adapter from MS.

Well the wireless adaptor has rechargeable batteries right? They won't last anywhere near as long as disposable AAs.

fonzman78

I think this was already answered by someone else in another thread, but I can verify that the power cover will indeed charge the wireless keyboard adapter. To test this, I attached the keyboard adapter to my Touch 2 keyboard and used it until the keyboard adapter battery wore down and died. Then I removed it and attached it to the power cover. It is now working again as I type this. So I guess that would be awesome!

UPDATE: Ok, perhaps I was a little to hasty with my testing. It appears that that power cover does not charge the keyboard adapter. It's more likely that my keyboard adapter still had enough juice in it to keep on ticking after it died the first time. So, not so awesome.

Last edited: