What's new

projecting screen and audio funkyness

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have no intention of buying any kind of dongle / adapter.

My Surface Pro is able to display the screen on the tv for a second or two which proves it DOES NOT NEED AN ADAPTER.

If it needed an adapter it would never be able to show on the tv screen at all.
Period.

Since it can, and does indeed mirror to the tv for a brief period, that means SOMETHING is stopping the mirroring that had already begun.
The tv is sitting there with a black screen and it < thinks > it is mirroring --- just not getting a signal.
So either the Surface Pro tablet is stopping the mirroring ( Microsoft's fault ) or the tv is comparing the source of the mirroring to its list of allowed devices and saying ' whoa wait a minute the Surface Pro isn't on the list of approved devices so I can't let you mirror ' and stopping the video signal but not exiting mirror mode.

Since it will work if I only BUY ANOTHER PIECE OF MICROSOFT EQUIPMENT -- their adapter --- it appears to me that Microsoft has deliberately stopped the Miracasting to force us to buy their adapter.

The tv is still in mirror mode and DID show the Surface Pro screen until the Surface Pro stopped transmitting a valid signal.
Microsoft has the Surface transmitting some < modified > signal that requires the adapter to work.

I blame Microsoft completely at this time. Because they are the ones who profit with this setup.

I don't NEED to mirror to the tv but it would be nice to be able to.

Since I believe Microsoft has done this deliberately to force us to buy adapters --- they can stick it where the sun don't shine.
Willie - again it isn't Microsoft's fault, your conspiracy theory has the wrong villain, it is Sony that needs to update their firmware. The Miracast Receiver is the part that allows or disallows the connection. If Microsoft's intent was to force you to purchase their adapter, none of the 3rd Party ones would work. Currently it is some Samsung Series 7 TVs and Sony that have the issue with not connected, commonality both companies are heavily invested in Android.

New2ToMe

Jeeze Willie, take a chill-pill. As jnjroach says, it is NOT the Surface or msoft, it is your TV. All four Miracast dongles that I have doisplay the video in varying degrees of operational excellence.

Now, try to take a calmer approach. Since the TV flashes the image for a second suggest to this old programmer that the TV is rejecting it most likely for a "Permissions" or "settings" issue. Sooo, get out the old TV-User-manual and read it.

I am positive that since Miracast is built into the TV as you correctly state for the obvious reason that the image does appear, there will or should be a set up option WITHIN THE TV that will allow the thing to stick and work as expected.

At worst, get on the phone to the TV CS. Stressing out the Blood Pressure venting against msoft can often be the correct route for weird programming, but in this case, given what you have described, it is TOTALLY and CERTAINLY all within the TV.

Chant with me: Hhhhoooooommmmmmmmmmmm... :)

Arizona Willie

Well, I disagree.

The tv goes into the waiting for mirror device screen and when I click on Project/ Dual Screen the tv responds and goes into mirror mode and the Surface screen appears --- nice and steady --- for a couple of seconds. Therefore the Surface MUST be sending a compatible signal or the surface screen would never appear. Then the tv screen goes to black and it is still in mirror mode. Which indicates it is no longer receiving a signal it can display. If Sony was rejecting the signal and considered the Surface incompatible --- how does it ever accept the signal from the Surface in the first place? It is still waiting for more signal --- it does not drop out of mirror mode. I would think if Sony was refusing to co-operate it would drop out of mirror mode but it doesn't. It is still looking for a signal.

Therefore no signal is arriving.

Who sends the signal?
The Surface.

What would / could stop the Surface from sending a signal?

Only the programming in the Surface.

I've been to the customer service forums both Microsoft and Sony and you might as well urinate into the wind.
They got your money ... all they are looking for is to sell more products.
I know that makes me cynical as hell but that's the way it is.
Who stands to gain?
Only people selling adapters of which Microsoft is one and that is what they recommend. " go buy our adapter ".

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK....Willie....

You've made your case on many threads and you've reached a loggerhead its time to move on....you've chosen who is at fault now it time to stop re-hashing the same on multiple threads. If something new comes along we can revisit.

Arizona Willie

I < had > dropped the issue.

I only posted in response to OTHERS who posted in the subject. :)

I totally agree there is nothing to be gained by further posts, unless someone figures out how to make it work.

New2ToMe

Ummm, it is not quite as simple as who sends the signal. There are signals in both directions via a wifi (kinda) link up. If your TV doesn't send a response then the Surface will stop sending. Not out out of any Scroogeness on msoft's part, but a poor rendering of the Miracast functionality of the TV, by sony.

I can understand your frustration with the msoft and sony "help" forums, but the reality it, it is NOT - NOT - NOT the Surface with the problem. As I said, I have 4 different brands of Miracast dongles and all four of them will transmit and connect with the Surface, albeit with varying degrees of quality. Only TWO of them will connect with my Moto-X Android 4.4.2 phone which is what I had prior to getting the SP2 a month or so back. My Lenovo Miix 8" tablet running win8.1 will also not hold a connection with three of them, the Push is the only one it will connect to. I hate giving Kudos to Netgear (Push2TV) as their routers are not at the top of their game, but begrudgingly I must for the Push. :)

I suggest you get hold of the user manual for the sony and see if it is possible to get AND install updated Miracast (Intel WiDi) drivers on the TV. Have a read here to try and understand better just how it all works. ooops, forgot the link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

A simple way is to spend 30-bucks and get a used Push2TV 3000 and plug that into the HDMI port of the TV. I know it means spending for something you are supposed to have but my experiences with sony over the years has been abysmal. I am sure that path will only lead to greater stress for you. Not all Miracast devices are created equal as my wasted bucks on three of them can attest.

Having said all that, unless you have a great need to mirror the Surface to the TV, I suggest instead you consider the Fire TV Stick. While not identical in function to Miracast, it is about as good as it gets for streaming videos. The onme exception is no Crackle app for it yet, so on the rare occasions the boss wants to watch something from Crackle, I then use the Push and Miracast. The mouse lag on Miracast, even with the Push is terrible, by the way. Be careful what you wish for.