What's new

Random Reboots

puma

Anyone getting restarts? Just checked my event logs and there are about 10 reboots. Entry is critical and details says the usual unexpected shutdown from loss of power , etc... Hope they put out another update soon.

Checked the dump file and it points to ntoskrnl.exe

Wonder if a bad driver is causing this... curious to see if anyone is getting restarts.

Thanks

Last edited:

jimp

Anyone getting restarts? Just checked my event logs and there are about 10 reboots. Entry is critical and details says the usual unexpected shutdown from loss of power , etc... Hope they put out another update soon.

Checked the dump file and it points to ntoskrnl.exe

Wonder if a bad driver is causing this... curious to see if anyone is getting restarts.

Thanks

Yes. I have had 4 random reboots, all while I'm not even using the device.

At least once it appears the device woke up on it's own and crashed. Another time or two it looks like it happened 2 hr 0 min after sleeping the device, which I've guessing means the Surface Pro 3 must be transitioning to hibernate after 2 hours and it's not succeeding every time. Earlier today I couldn't turn it on, but after about 10 sec plugged into power it successfully booted...without me touching the power again (maybe it was at the 2hr mark, not sure). Windows said there was more than 50% charge, and I've seen it go below 30% before, so I don't think plugging in the power actually helped anything.

Since I got my Surface Pro 3 Monday afternoon (6/23), I've had the wireless card (and bluetooth) completely disappear after resuming many times. A trip to the Device Manager and "Scan for new hardware" will bring it back. This is difficult to reproduce, and inconsistent, but I've lost the wireless card at least 8x this week. I've powered on and off with normal operation at least 4x a day and I haven't been able to identify any pattern with losing it except it's directly related to waking the Surface (just like everyone else it seems).

My first of the 4 random reboots was on 6/24/14 around 4pm. That evening I got all of the Important updates, hoping it would fix it, including the June 19th firmware update. Today (6/26) I've had 3 more random hard reboots, bringing it to 4 total so far between 2 locations. All of the crashdumps point to ntoskrnl.exe as well. And considering the wireless card is so unreliable on resume it's pretty easy to assume that is probably the real source of the crash in the kernel.

I have read so many Surface Pro 1 and 2 posts on this forum tonight about hard reboots, hoping for updates to permanently fix it, and no one walking away victorious. Since so few are describing the problem (anywhere) that we are having, I think this Marvel wireless chip might simply have quality issues that are only affecting a small percentage. It is possible Microsoft could release enough updates to work around the issue in software, but I don't plan to hold out past my 15 day return window to see if they let me down. I plan to try a NIB replacement or two and hopefully get a unit not so sensitive to whatever is triggering the issue (likely a defective wireless card).