What's new

recovery not working

Lynkdev

For some reason I cant do a recovery through settings as it prompts me to insert a CD with the OS. Wondering where I can get the image for my SP3 and if possible the windows ten one please?

Would reinstalling through USB give me back the recovery partition?

ScottyS

I had a SP3 that was W8.1 upgraded to W10. It wouldn't start so I had to do a reset from a USB recovery drive I had made from it after the Win10 upgrade.
It reinstalled Win10, and made a recovery partition that I was later able to use to do another reset right from the SSD.

OP
L

Lynkdev

I had a SP3 that was W8.1 upgraded to W10. It wouldn't start so I had to do a reset from a USB recovery drive I had made from it after the Win10 upgrade.
It reinstalled Win10, and made a recovery partition that I was later able to use to do another reset right from the SSD.

how did you make the recovery partition?

ScottyS

how did you make the recovery partition?
I didn't make one, either it was there (but it should have been Win8.1 unless the Win10 upgrade upgrades the recovery partition too.

I had the whole computer go dead. No on, no power, the hold the power button down to force it off didn't work nor the two button reboot. It'd go to the Surface logo and then die again. I booted from a USB recovery drive I had made after the Win10 upgrade. Tried to reset it keeping my files and it started but hung (let it run all night, later realized it was because I had a mSD card in). Tried again and it told me it couldn't recover keeping my files so I reset it. It formatted the SSD because I had it partitioned into 2 partitions (that was left over from when I was running Win8.1 on the C: and Win10 TP on D: and when done it had removed that partition and reformatted the drive. Right after that it was running buggy and I got some malware that even Malwarebytes couldn't find, so I went to recovery and it was able to reset Windows 10 from the SSD. So either that recovery partition was there all along, or the full reset to factor condition restored that too.